Clutch time which is best Mcleod or Spec

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
The spec cant hold a candle to McLeod on high HP cobra's from what I have seen. I will be getting the McLeod myself, the only other clutch that is even in the running with the McLeod for high HP cobra's is the centerforce.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
The problem with the McLeod twin disk is that it is not sprung which is not good for your transmission. The Centerforce DF is getting good reviews by the high HP guys currently. JDM is testing another clutch by daikin currently, but it is really expensive like 1800 for the clutch, pressure plate and tob. I believe it is a twin disk also, but it is sprung and rated at a higher HP then the McLeod.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
The problem with the McLeod twin disk is that it is not sprung which is not good for your transmission. The Centerforce DF is getting good reviews by the high HP guys currently.
I guess I wasnt aware of that toofast. Im not a manual transmission guru by any stretch, can you fill us in on just how the unsprung McLoed isnt good for the tranny?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
I guess I wasnt aware of that toofast. Im not a manual transmission guru by any stretch, can you fill us in on just how the unsprung McLoed isnt good for the tranny?

Hammer and the other transmission guys were talking about it on svtsnake.com. The problem as I understand it basically comes down to shock. The unsprung clutch does not provide any give to absorb the shock of going into gear and it sounds like the fact that they McLeod has ferocious grip doesn't help the matter. Clutches that are sprung absorb some of the shock of going into gear.

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
toofast4u how is Xplicits car holding up, isn't he running Hammers old clutch?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
Hammer and the other transmission guys were talking about it on svtsnake.com. The problem as I understand it basically comes down to shock. The unsprung clutch does not provide any give to absorb the shock of going into gear and it sounds like the fact that they McLeod has ferocious grip doesn't help the matter. Clutches that are sprung absorb some of the shock of going into gear.
Ok so the issue is that its simply grabbing to well and blasting that instantaneous TQ into the driveline. Couple that with gooey tires, VHT and a heavy car and stuff breaks. Im about down for serious power mods (for this year :)) and am concentrating on beefing up driveline(bushings, input shaft, lvl 5 halfshaft kit etc) and as much as I like to race, I dont think my car will be running slicks, I like a car that can handle like its on rails but still run a repectable quarter mile and get me to and from the track. Im thinking that if im not running slicks the McLeod (or any other grippy unsprung clutch for that matter) will be fine...or did I musunderstand something along the way?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
An unsprung disk also makes regular street driving much more of a challenge. Smooth gradual takes off are not impossible, but are a lot of work...

Dana

Control

Established Member
Originally posted by Rev
toofast4u how is Xplicits car holding up, isn't he running Hammers old clutch?
From what I heard xplicits car isnt responding well to the clutch. He has lots of tranny noises. What toofast4u said about the mcleod doing to a tranny seems to be the problem with xplicits car and maybe more. I hope its nothing serious. Hes a great guy with a great looking car but he hasnt really been posting anymore.

Last edited:

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Originally posted by Control
From what I heard xplicits car isnt responding well to the clutch. He has lots of tranny noises. What toofast4u said about the mcleod doing to a tranny seems to be the problem with xplicits car and maybe more. I hope its nothing serious. Hes a great guy with a great looking car but he hasnt really been posting anymore.

Not responding well? That sounds a bit odd. How does a car not respond well to a clutch made for the car?

Control, nothing personal at all, thanks for answering bro, I was wondering where the heck he went to also?

Who did the clutch install and what are they saying?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
An unsprung disk also makes regular street driving much more of a challenge. Smooth gradual takes off are not impossible, but are a lot of work...

Dana
We have a couple local guys here running the mcleod that I am aware of, ones a 97 cobra totally built (600hp) with a viperspec T56 and he open tracks and all sorts of stuff, he likes the clutch. Another is a 900+rwhp TT camaro and he claims car is as streetable as ever. :shrug:

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
I've used a variety of clutches and even that diaken which started doing mustang clutches last year after response from the 2002 sema show from mustang owners. They also opened up a facility here in Michigan. I've predominantly used mcleod stuff and have been fairly happy. But definitely go with some of the responses above that its not a very user friendly clutch. It’s either "there" or not. No slipping with the single disk or twin plate. Both very harsh clutchs. I never liked anything by Centerforce. I've got pics of the diaken stuff here some where.
NPI recently bought out some clutch company and I';m going to be testing some new stuff. Not like teh clutch market is saturated all ready.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
Doesnt diaken want like $1800 for their setup?

I believe their twin disk is that much. I believe it includes a chromoly flywheel and a billet aluminum pressure plate.

jtfx6552

Established Member
The main reason a clutch has a sprung hub is to damp out engine torsional vibrations. The McLeod causes the driveline to get noisy when you lug the car, particularly in the upper gears.

A sprung hub also allows a few degrees of rotation between the input shaft and the flywheel. The Mcleod has been real hard in parts. Jim at JDM, Hammer and I have been discussing why the McLeod is so hard on parts. Maybe it is a lack of springs, maybe it is that it grabs so hard, maybe a combination of both.

The Diaken is an amazing piece. I've held it in my hand. The two discs are smaller compared to the Mcleod. The damper springs are also small. Of course each disk takes half the load so maybe two discs with smaller springs will give the same damping. However, the smaller springs seem to have less torsional travel, which would mean the Daiken will "take up" faster than a stock clutch, which has some huge springs.

I can't wait to hear what Jim thinks once the Daikein is in.

JT

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
I guess no one wants to answer my question I posted, and I wonder why...

Users who are viewing this thread