Clutch that can slip a bit?

My96z

Established Member
I am sitting at 620 rwhp now. Currently my car is in the shop getting new headgaskets, K member and some Pacesetter long tubes. I expect to have a bit more power after the long tubes and a boost increase.

After this round is done, I am looking at doing the suspension (MM torque arm kit) and while I am in there, I would like to do a clutch swap. I am currently on the stocker and seems to be holding up, but I think its only a matter of time.

I would like to get a clutch that has less pedal effort, and one that I can slip a little bit and not be an on/off switch. My wife drives the car occasionally and and it would be nice for it to be a bit easier to drive.

I know fully well that mostly any clutch that can handle the horsepower is going to be a more towards the stiff, on off side.

I hear good things about the Mcleod RST/RXT (not sure how they are on the on/off engagement though) but they are a bit pricey and I am not going to consider them.

I am interested in the ProMotion line and will be following up on them. I hear the SPEC 3+ is a good setup, but I believe they are more the on/off type. I have had excellent luck with SPEC in the past though...

I will of course do the sleeve, 26 spline shaft, aluminum flywheel, quadrant and a new OEM cable that I plan on lubing with some Dirtbike cable lube for maximum silkiness.

I would like to hear your opinions, feedback and hindsight.

Thanks for the help and time,

Jeff

Last edited:

Mr.Venom

Quick with Boltons
Established Member
Give ProMotion a call, seems like alotta people have great luck with them in the power holding and pedal effort aspect of things.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
You're going to pay more for a clutch with light pedal effort, good clamping force, and good drivability. I have an RXT waiting to go in mine.

My96z

Established Member
I plan on giving ProMotion a call and see what they say, they do have alot of options... I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Hell yes Sinister! Go Blue!! - and a Doberman!! Going to go see them in Dallas on 1 Sep?

Yea I kind of know that, but I am just wanting to know whats out there and anyones experience. If I went RXT, I would be wayyyy over $1000 for everything I want to do to square away the trans. For the less money spent I can justify and live with less drivablity.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I plan on giving ProMotion a call and see what they say, they do have alot of options... I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Hell yes Sinister! Go Blue!! - and a Doberman!! Going to go see them in Dallas on 1 Sep?

Yea I kind of know that, but I am just wanting to know whats out there and anyones experience. If I went RXT, I would be wayyyy over $1000 for everything I want to do to square away the trans. For the less money spent I can justify and live with less drivablity.

Hopefully they can hook you up with something that'll work for you. :beer:

Already have my tickets and hotel reserved for the 1st! Go Blue!

Sinister, let me know how that RXT holds for ya. I may be doing something wrong on mine :/

Will do!

My96z

Established Member
Lucky you! They sold out before I get my hands on them. I hope to be able to procure some before the game starts... i you know anyone looking to sell some tickets let me know! Go Blue!!

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Lucky you! They sold out before I get my hands on them. I hope to be able to procure some before the game starts... i you know anyone looking to sell some tickets let me know! Go Blue!!

I got mine from a Michigan season ticket holder that got his early and resold them. I lucked out. They have plenty available on Stubhub but they're pricey.

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
Im in the right thread lol! Born and raised Kalamazoo, MI! Living in San Diego now. Wish I could go to the game! Lucky!

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
For future reference I'm subin. I have the same interests as op.

mach1033

Established Member
I had the spec 3+ and pedal feel was fine for every day use. It held my 700hp motor no problem.

My96z

Established Member
I had the spec 3+ and pedal feel was fine for every day use. It held my 700hp motor no problem.

I keep reading that the Stage 3+ is lighter than stock, but is like an on/off switch. I do like Specs stuff and had good luck with them in the past.

fst86410

Established Member
I just put a spec 3+ in my car going to try and get it done this weekend I'll let you know how it does. I've got to break it in before I flog on it but I'm at 680hp right now till I get a new tune. This is going to piss you off a bit, Roll Tide!

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
promotion. the car is my DD. now i dont have 600hp like you, since i am just 2.8 upper, JLT RAI, steeda cat-back, and tune...but i CAN tell you that the pedal is sooo much lighter than stock. feels like a normal car now...feels similar to my girlfriends honda (as far as pedal weight). clutch doesnt chatter its ass off, or make any crazy noises. their $15 TOB lasted around 45k miles before making a chirp. did the TOB swap and still had plenty of clutch left. the clutch hasnt ever slipped yet, and the holding/clamping power is great. i have nothing negative to say about promotion (and in fact have been VERY impressed), other than they can be a bitch to get on the phone sometimes. the clutch kit cost me a wopping $300 and is rated for 500hp. it cracks me up that people spend $1k on a clutch kit alone, then i see a thread in this section about how that particular clutch is having problems with this, or that...and making such and such noises.

my vote goes to promotion (clearly)...and if i ever have to replace my clutch again, i will be going right back to them.

:rockon:

My96z

Established Member
Moko - good review! Is your clutch on or off? Can you slip it at all when taking off from a stop? I have heard nothing but good stuff about ProMotion. What particular combo of clutch and PP did you get?

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
i just have their basic cobra 11" clutch. i think it was/is actually rated to 520hp or something like that. it is the cheapest 3 piece clutch kit they carry for our cars. the clutch is still in the car, and has been for over 50k miles now.

and yes...you are able to slowly slip the clutch/pedal, with little to no effort, for some good tire roasting...or if that is how you prefer to take off from a stop. no problems at all.

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
i just have their basic cobra 11" clutch. i think it was/is actually rated to 520hp or something like that. it is the cheapest 3 piece clutch kit they carry for our cars. the clutch is still in the car, and has been for over 50k miles now.

and yes...you are able to slowly slip the clutch/pedal, with little to no effort, for some good tire roasting...or if that is how you prefer to take off from a stop. no problems at all.

If ever I need a clutch again, you got me sold :)

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
The spec clutch doesn't have to be an on/off clutch and is actually very capable of being slipped, its how you do it that's different. Bring the rpms up higher than usual and slip away

My96z

Established Member
Got my Promotion 650HP clutch kit today. I will post up once I get it installed. Here are the main parts:
CIMG1005.jpg

Flywheel side of disc:
discfwside.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread