Clutch Smell

BOD89LX

Established Member
I have had a clutch smell 3 times now after driving the car through the gears hard, anybody else had this , I didn't notice the clutch slipping but it sure smelled like it. The first time it happened I pulled in the shop and could smell it real bad thought it may have been the brakes as it was also the first time I had used them hard from higher speeds.

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
A little bit. But I have not noticed it from driving hard.

I have noticed it when driving in traffic and I get out of the car at the destination. The clutch is not the easiest for driving around town. I just can't get the feel for it in first gear. I have slipped it, killed it, and lurched the car forward trying to drive normally.

Scott

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I'm at 6300miles now- somewhere around 5000 miles I got a little clutch smell. But just once and I never smelt it again.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Well at least I am not going crazy seems like a few others have had this as well, I guess its one good reason not to mod the car for a while and see if it holds up to some drag strip duty and drag radials. I also agree the clutch takes some getting use to to get the car going smooth from a stop.

eagle eye

Established Member
Just a guess
Perhaps a combination of clutch and brakes your smelling.
Doesn't the traction control incorporate some brake to control wheel spin?

BOD89LX

Established Member
I am going to try the launch contol tonight for the first time now that the temps have dropped 30 degree's

Bllit11

Established Member
i ve got 623 miles on mine i ve had the smell bad with l/c on at 2800 rpm and without my dealer said the clutch is breaking in i ve been driving a stick since 1974 i don't think it's right by the way no mods

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
My had that smell once in a high speed run...but when i stopped and got out the brakes were smoking. They got a lil hot

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Honestly I thought it could be because of break in, but I won't like when I say I'm not real sure when it comes to clutch break in.

I just picked mine up yesterday, 11 miles when I left, a tad over 300 now, I've smelled it a couple of times in the beginning, especially in near stop and go traffic, but it seems like the more I drive it, the less I've smelled it.

I figured it could be break in?

bpmurr

Established Member
Bottom line is if you even think you're having clutch issues you need to have it documented at your dealer ASAP. Then when it does fully go you'll have a service history to fall back on and hopefully get a warranty replacement. It also surprises me so many guys mod their cars right away instead of putting a few thousand miles on to make sure everything it working correctly.

bpmurr

Established Member
Well I feel a little better now that I am not the only one.

You might not be the only one on this site. Trust me that if you go to get warranty service on it Ford will make you out to be the only one. Report your issues now to the service department of your dealer and get it documented.

BOD89LX

Established Member
I am good friends with the service manager so not to worried about them not taking care of it if it fails.

Bllit11

Established Member
Your not the only one ford said they weren't aware of anything the service manager who i know said he would have to drive it. Yea he's the one that ford told him he had to ride with me on the 2nd gear grind on my 2011 because he was scared. He went new trans in the 2011 problem was gone oh by the way it didn't need a clutch.

Quick96Mystic

Mystiiiiic wowww
Established Member
How high does the clutch engage on these cars? It could also be a possibility (not taking a shot at anyone, just saying) that when one is driving a stick shift car they keep their foot on the clutch pedal unintentionally thus causing a clutch smell/slight slippage.

I've seen it as a habit with lots of people. By the way I'm just being a tad bit optimistic and hoping it isn't an actual product issue :beer:

BOD89LX

Established Member
It engages almost all the way on the top and I had right foot on the gas on the floor and left foot on the floor not on the clutch .

bpmurr

Established Member
I am good friends with the service manager so not to worried about them not taking care of it if it fails.

So was I back in 2010 when my clutch went up. If your car is bone stock you should be fine. If not Ford will ask for pics and void the warranty. Just my personal experience.

Users who are viewing this thread