Clutch Smell???HELP

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Everytime I get onto the highway, and take second gear up to say 5000rpm's, shift, third fourth then fifth normally(say 2500rpms) I can SMELL the clutch. Is this normal? I remember my 2002 GT didnt have this problem, a little bit, but no where near as bad as the cobra. Any ideas guys?

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by mike79
Everytime I get onto the highway, and take second gear up to say 5000rpm's, shift, third fourth then fifth normally(say 2500rpms) I can SMELL the clutch. Is this normal? I remember my 2002 GT didnt have this problem, a little bit, but no where near as bad as the cobra. Any ideas guys?

No, its not normal for the clutch to be burning like that. How many miles??

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
A month old tomorrow, just broke a thousand!!! Even though the car has its little problems, just the joy of driving this thing every day makes up for it. THANK YOU SVT! But I think the mod bug is starting to bite me...

cobra23

Established Member
Burning smell

Make sure you are not inadvertently "ridng the clutch" ie. not fully releasing the clutch pedal. If you have the clutch pedal slightly depressed when driving you will get a burning smell.

This is reinforced by my experience getting the cobra up a pair of ramps so I could change the oil. I didn't want to overshoot the end of the ramps so I was giving it gas while slowly engaging the clutch.

That did produce a strong burning smell.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
It adjusts the pedal so the clutch fully engages etc. Just try it on your next drive, every now and then put foot under clutch pedel and pop it up, it will be a noticable notch as it moves and it will stop, see if your problems goes away. For more details check the owners manual on the car.

stang99

Take your car to the dealer immediately and tell them that the clutch is slipping. A new clutch from the dealer is at least $1000 installed, and, they will definitely have to warrant your clutch with your low mileage as it appears that it is defective. Do not mod your car before you get the clutch fixed because a smoking clutch is already ruined and it will only get worse.

Originally posted by mike79

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I cant say that its "smoking" although I never really looked, but its only when I get on it hard, that it smells. You think its slipping?

stang99

When you smell clutch, it's slipping. When it slips, it gets hot and "smokes". In any case, you shouldn't smell any burning smells off a new Cobra at all. That's whats the warranty is all about. Take it in, get your Geo Metro automatic rental car, suffer a bunch, and let them fix the problem. Hopefully, they will agree that there is a problem and throw a new clutch in the car. If not, you'll get to drive the Metro a number of times until they sort it out. Be careful in the Metro, the brakes are shot and they don't handle quite as well as your 03.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
LOL thanks, hey I can look at it this way. The metro is most likely the best mod you can do for a Cobra...driving that POS around for a few days and then getting back in the Cobra? hehe

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
So wait Some people are saying its normal, some are saying its slipping How do I know which it is BEFORE i bring it into the dealer.

ntechnic

Established Member
It is NOT normal. Sure, when getting up on some ramps, or easing up a steep hill from a stop, you may slip the clutch a little. And these clutches do stink a bunch at the least amount of slipping.

HOWEVER, if your foot is clear of the clutch pedal (not riding it) and it stinks when you get on it (i.e., high power output), then it is not engaging fully, you have a slipping clutch.

If lifting the clutch pedal to adjust it doen't make the problem go away, then get to the dealer immediately. Continued slipping of the clutch will glaze it, and it will never work well, so if there is a problem you might as well take it in now.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I dont think its slipping when my foot is OFF of it. Its when i shift fast and hard and the RPS are high, thats when I smell it...for a few seconds and then it goes away.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Interesting that this came up when it did. I've been having little 'signs' (which I did not identify as such until it was too late) of a slipping clutch for a month or so now. I was at the track this weekend, and was using drag radials for the first time. Well what was subtle before, suddenly became obvious as I smoked my clutch on the burnout instead of my tires. I'm lucky to even be able to drive it as it is, and I'm trying to baby it until I can get it to the shop. I'd recomend getting it looked at now, before it get's worse.

Users who are viewing this thread