Clutch slider

Advanced98

Ok, I installed a spec stage 1 clutch in my 98 cobra, only problem is that since installed I have broke the factory cable, one from Advance Auto Parts, and now I have a Steeda adjustable in it that is getting very stiff and feels like it is about to snap :shrug:. They all feel great when first put in then get stiff and worse. I have been told it is probably something wrong with the tranny slider. Has anyone dealt with this, have any clue on helping, or even how hard it is to replace it if this is the problem? I'm tired of doing parking lot fixes and trying to safely get it stopped by running a red light etc. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Slither

Established Member
Before buying a "new ford cable" give us a little more info. Do you have longtubes? Id dig further, after having several aftermarket and no issues Id say your problem lies elsewhere. However, I did find that the autozone cable didnt like heat worse than any of the rest.
AFTER the issue is resolved, I would go with whatever cable from whatever company you feel like. As I said, Ive never had any issues with others, just the "quicky parts stores" ones

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
WTH is a clutch slider? :lol:

Get a stock non-adjustable cable, a firewall adjuster, and the LDC freeplay mod and then adjust so the cable has no slack in it with zero chatter.

I previously had the Spec 1 with a shitty firewall adjuster that was only ever tight. You're just going to end up breaking every single cable 2000 mi. into it regardless. All I can remember from the Spec 1 with the adjustable cable was "When the **** is this POS going to break because my FWA isn't dialed in and I need 7 midgets to get the car into gear let alone powershift".

Last edited:

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
He's talking about the Throw Out Bearing.

Did you grease the input shaft at all when you put in the throw out bearing? Try to get some grease on the input shaft. you should be able to do it through the hole where the clutch fork comes out. See if that loosens it up a bit.

tt54l32v

Established Member
He's talking about the Throw Out Bearing.

Did you grease the input shaft at all when you put in the throw out bearing? Try to get some grease on the input shaft. you should be able to do it through the hole where the clutch fork comes out. See if that loosens it up a bit.

no he is talking bout the thing that the tob rides on and yes it needs grease. what bout making sure it is routed right first.

Advanced98

Basically stock engine (other than pulleys and filter), flowmaster mufflers, but stock piping. I installed a steeda billet quadrant and firewall adjuster with the steeda cable. I was told by a local NMRA guy to check the clutch slider, but I'm not real sure what he meant. Don't think we greased the input shaft, so I may try that next. Does anyone have some clear pictures of proper cable routing? I've tried to match the way the first cable I broke was routed, but even that could have been wrong. Thanks for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread