Clutch shudder and weird noise

fmylife

Established Member
The stock clutch chattered/shuddered in my '08 quite often up until it finally started slipping and had to be replaced at 27k miles. I checked the VIN and he did have the original clutch and trans replaced under the TSB. He got rid of the car in '15 and only had around 6k miles on it when I bought it.

Replaced with the McLeod RXT (including their flywheel) and at first it was all good, felt great and much better than stock. Not long after completing their stated break in procedure, it started to chatter/shudder when taking off from a stop again. Is that normal? It's the most annoying thing about the car with gear whine after upgrading to 3.55s being the second most annoying thing.

It seems to do it the worst when slipping it just enough to roll the car in stop and go driving. If I rev up enough it will usually not chatter but I can't imagine that's good for the clutch but I also can't just dump it every time I need to get moving lol

As for the weird noise, with the trans in neutral and clutch released while the AC compressor is running, either the trans or clutch is making very strange sound. As soon as I push the clutch in, it goes away. Wtf?! No clue what would make that happen. Any suggestions?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
You are gonna get chatter with the RXT. Just the nature of the design. You should be able to slip it enough to minimize the chatter. It may take you sometime to learn how to drive it with the RXT.

As for the nosie while in natural. If the noise is only being made with the AC on then the clutch is not the issue its something else you will need to track down.

For the gears its more than likey install error. Once a bad wear pattern has started its likely gonna need a new set to fix the whine. Look at moving to FRPP 4.10s.

barspen

Established Member
Is that normal?
With my RXT, vibration and chatter are my new "normal".

With that said, double check your transmission brace. My bolts were not tightened down properly and lost two on the driver side, making the chatter, vibration, annoyance much, much worse.

I drive in stop-&-go most mornings and night and it's taken a lot of 'fun' out of the car. Don't get me wrong, the RXT is a quality product, but maybe not right for my application (DD and 3xRoad Course/year). I'm sure the strip guys love it...when it hooks, it's impressive

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
With my RXT, vibration and chatter are my new "normal".

With that said, double check your transmission brace. My bolts were not tightened down properly and lost two on the driver side, making the chatter, vibration, annoyance much, much worse.

I drive in stop-&-go most mornings and night and it's taken a lot of 'fun' out of the car. Don't get me wrong, the RXT is a quality product, but maybe not right for my application (DD and 3xRoad Course/year). I'm sure the strip guys love it...when it hooks, it's impressive
Just curious about your vibration issue. My RXT vibrates at about 1700-2000rpm. I don't have the chatter issue though.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

barspen

Established Member
Just curious about your vibration issue. My RXT vibrates at about 1700-2000rpm. I don't have the chatter issue though.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I get it on take off from a dead stop. Usually squeals. I get vibration every 2-3 times on take off from stop. Pumping the clutch helps, but is not an optimal way to drive. No problem in gears 2-6.

RedZR

Established Member
The stock clutch chattered/shuddered in my '08 quite often up until it finally started slipping and had to be replaced at 27k miles. I checked the VIN and he did have the original clutch and trans replaced under the TSB. He got rid of the car in '15 and only had around 6k miles on it when I bought it.

Replaced with the McLeod RXT (including their flywheel) and at first it was all good, felt great and much better than stock. Not long after completing their stated break in procedure, it started to chatter/shudder when taking off from a stop again. Is that normal? It's the most annoying thing about the car with gear whine after upgrading to 3.55s being the second most annoying thing.

It seems to do it the worst when slipping it just enough to roll the car in stop and go driving. If I rev up enough it will usually not chatter but I can't imagine that's good for the clutch but I also can't just dump it every time I need to get moving lol

As for the weird noise, with the trans in neutral and clutch released while the AC compressor is running, either the trans or clutch is making very strange sound. As soon as I push the clutch in, it goes away. Wtf?! No clue what would make that happen. Any suggestions?

The RXT in my 2008 does the same thing but if you blip the throttle a little its not noticeable (as you observed). In my opinion, this is a clutch that can hold a ton of power and trading peace of mind for that with a little rattle is a fair deal.

fmylife

Established Member
You are gonna get chatter with the RXT. Just the nature of the design. You should be able to slip it enough to minimize the chatter. It may take you sometime to learn how to drive it with the RXT.

As for the nosie while in natural. If the noise is only being made with the AC on then the clutch is not the issue its something else you will need to track down.

For the gears its more than likey install error. Once a bad wear pattern has started its likely gonna need a new set to fix the whine. Look at moving to FRPP 4.10s.
Kinda figuring it's just normal and maybe I should have gone with the RST instead since I don't race, just mess around on the street. Oh well...maybe next time if I keep it long enough.

Gonna have to check more stuff to figure out the weird noise from the trans but will check the cross member as well.

This is actually the third set of gears. First set was brand new FRPP 3.73s and install kit. Whined WAY worse. Second set was Motive 3.55 since I'd heard 3.73s were notorious for being noisy on these cars. Those were nearly as bad and let the shop try a set of FRPP 3.55s and while quieter, they still whine and it's maddening. This isn't the first time I've had gears upgraded but this is the only car that this has been a repeated issue with. It blew me away when I saw how many other people with GT500s had gone through the same thing.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Kinda figuring it's just normal and maybe I should have gone with the RST instead since I don't race, just mess around on the street. Oh well...maybe next time if I keep it long enough.

Gonna have to check more stuff to figure out the weird noise from the trans but will check the cross member as well.

This is actually the third set of gears. First set was brand new FRPP 3.73s and install kit. Whined WAY worse. Second set was Motive 3.55 since I'd heard 3.73s were notorious for being noisy on these cars. Those were nearly as bad and let the shop try a set of FRPP 3.55s and while quieter, they still whine and it's maddening. This isn't the first time I've had gears upgraded but this is the only car that this has been a repeated issue with. It blew me away when I saw how many other people with GT500s had gone through the same thing.

The RXT is a better clutch than the RST. Even the RST isnt perfect. For the gt500 you really want a clutch that can hold the power and tq these cars put out. The RST with light bolt ons is maxed out easily. For your use as a DD you might have been better off with a 13-14 gt500 clutch and flywheel setup.

You can get a set of bad gears here and there and i know there was a small batch of frpp 3.73 that had some issues. Hadnt heard of issues with the 3.55s. Do you happen to have an after market upper controler arm? If so those are known for transmitting more NVH which makes it sound like gear whine. Roush makes a better performing upper controler arm than stock that keeps the NVH low.

Imatk

Established Member
Had an RXT, hated it... vibrated chattered like crazy. Have a stock 13-14 setup and it's perfect. NO noise.

fmylife

Established Member
The RXT is a better clutch than the RST. Even the RST isnt perfect. For the gt500 you really want a clutch that can hold the power and tq these cars put out. The RST with light bolt ons is maxed out easily. For your use as a DD you might have been better off with a 13-14 gt500 clutch and flywheel setup.

You can get a set of bad gears here and there and i know there was a small batch of frpp 3.73 that had some issues. Hadnt heard of issues with the 3.55s. Do you happen to have an after market upper controler arm? If so those are known for transmitting more NVH which makes it sound like gear whine. Roush makes a better performing upper controler arm than stock that keeps the NVH low.
I didn't even think about the stock '13-14 clutch as an option! Obviously it's meant to hold quite a bit of power and I don't intend on going much more than LTs with a 10% OD lower (on top of what I already have) so that clutch would have been fine. Oh well...maybe next time around!

Stop upper but BMR lowers, non adjustable (with adjustable BMR panhard) and it was whining before those as well.

spectreman

Established Member
This: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7546GT500-K/GT500-Clutch-Kit-07-09-Mustang

Had mine installed after the OEM started to slip around 31k. Buttery smooth, even release of clutch, no chatter- zero, none, nada. You don't need a '13-14 set-up. Wait until it goes on sale for a discount day & buy it. Have a trusted shop do the install. I'm incredibly satisifed w/mine and NONE of the issues associated w/the original clutch or any of the aftermarket clutches.

I also had FRPP 3.73 gears installed right afterwards. Not a peep out of them. The key is the correct install procedure w/the proper parts, like this:
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-4209FRB-K/Mustang-88-373-Ratio-Rear-End-Gear-Kit

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I didn't even think about the stock '13-14 clutch as an option! Obviously it's meant to hold quite a bit of power and I don't intend on going much more than LTs with a 10% OD lower (on top of what I already have) so that clutch would have been fine. Oh well...maybe next time around!

Stop upper but BMR lowers, non adjustable (with adjustable BMR panhard) and it was whining before those as well.

At least for next time youll have some options

fmylife

Established Member
This: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7546GT500-K/GT500-Clutch-Kit-07-09-Mustang

Had mine installed after the OEM started to slip around 31k. Buttery smooth, even release of clutch, no chatter- zero, none, nada. You don't need a '13-14 set-up. Wait until it goes on sale for a discount day & buy it. Have a trusted shop do the install. I'm incredibly satisifed w/mine and NONE of the issues associated w/the original clutch or any of the aftermarket clutches.

I also had FRPP 3.73 gears installed right afterwards. Not a peep out of them. The key is the correct install procedure w/the proper parts, like this:
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-4209FRB-K/Mustang-88-373-Ratio-Rear-End-Gear-Kit
That is the exact gear kit I had installed originally by a guy that's been doing gears for 20 years. I've been in several of the cars he has done before. I had another shop do the other sets and still the same. This rear is just cursed.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
@spectreman Just wait till your first track night...

@fmylife FRPP 4.10s are your friend. :D My 4.10s whine a little after my last track night, but NOTHING like the 3.73s. Keep in mind, I have BMR's solid diff bushing, rod end upper control arm and mount installed. Also run the G2 FRPP diff cover.

On a car that isn't equipped with such aggressive suspension components, the noise would probably be faint at most. I get 19-20 mpg on the freeway at 80mph too.

spectreman

Established Member
I will NEVER track my car. It's a daily driver. It's not an issue for me but according to Ford, their replacement clutch set up is good for 750HP and I'm still @ stock power levels. I knew exactly what I was doing in buying this set up and have no regrets.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I will NEVER track my car. It's a daily driver. It's not an issue for me but according to Ford, their replacement clutch set up is good for 750HP and I'm still @ stock power levels. I knew exactly what I was doing in buying this set up and have no regrets.

For a daily driver thats gonna work perfect. Also the 750hp rating is at the motor and not at the rear wheels

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member

Didn't mean your clutch, meant your 3.73s. Even burnouts can get em to howl. If its truly a non burnout DD, yes, youll be fine. As for clutch, if youre at stock power levels, ID stick with the factory setup too. Hell, you have no idea how many times stuck in traffic I miss the factory clutch, lol

Of course, trying to rip down the track shifting near redline, the RXT shines.

Last edited:

spectreman

Established Member
Like I said, my car is a daily driver- no racing for me. The 3.73's are my preferred gear as they add practical, bottom end power, where I need it.
Lee

Perko

Established Member
I can't hear my 3.73's over the exhaust. If the LMR isn't everything it's said to be I'm holding the jerk responsible. :D

SS

Users who are viewing this thread