Clutch shims?

Softballer77

Established Member
So I have an ACE twin disk installed as of about 4-5k miles back. Everything was fine. I'm out of town with the car, and it feels like the clutch wants to engage IMMEDIATELY from the floor, but when the pedal is fully depressed, it then feels like it isn't fully engaged. Almost like you are driving around and the clutch pedal is ever so slightly pressed, when physically it isn't.

Anyone have any experience with this? It was bought as a kit with a new flywheel attached. Clutch had been great up till now, but now slips in any gear above 3rd with the slightest of load on it.

I'm not saying this is a bad clutch, nor a bad install. But maybe shims should have been used in the install?? I've been in contact with ACE and they have been more than wanting to help. Even as far as bringing the car to them, or sending pictures if I didn't of anything found so that it can be remedied properly.

Was just hoping someone may have had this same situation and they were able to fix it properly.

Thanks.

STTOCK

The Man
Established Member
Hmm that's strange. If these clutches come broken in, how would it function properly and then after a "break in" it needs shimmed? Sounds like something else. Sorry I can't help. Good luck and let us know what you figure out!

got_h8rs?

Established Member
Bump... I am interested as well I am putting an ace twin disc in tomorrow, would like to know if this is a singular problem or across the board?

got_h8rs?

Established Member
So I have an ACE twin disk installed as of about 4-5k miles back. Everything was fine. I'm out of town with the car, and it feels like the clutch wants to engage IMMEDIATELY from the floor, but when the pedal is fully depressed, it then feels like it isn't fully engaged. Almost like you are driving around and the clutch pedal is ever so slightly pressed, when physically it isn't.

Anyone have any experience with this? It was bought as a kit with a new flywheel attached. Clutch had been great up till now, but now slips in any gear above 3rd with the slightest of load on it.

I'm not saying this is a bad clutch, nor a bad install. But maybe shims should have been used in the install?? I've been in contact with ACE and they have been more than wanting to help. Even as far as bringing the car to them, or sending pictures if I didn't of anything found so that it can be remedied properly.

Was just hoping someone may have had this same situation and they were able to fix it properly.

Thanks.

Have you gotten on it with the new clutch? How did it feel before this happened today?

Softballer77

Established Member
Sure was. No probs. Then I started hearing a slight squeak on take offs. Slightly after was when it began slipping. I was assured by Ace that the set is MORE than enough to handle what I was throwing at it.

Users who are viewing this thread