Clutch/Shifter questions... having some problems, can't figure them out!

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
Ok, so I have some questions for you all...

It seems my clutch doesn't FULLY disengage until the pedal is *all* the way to the floor... I tested this by keeping the car level, fully depressing the pedal, giving it some gas (car didn't move at all)... then slowly lifting it up while revving to see where it starts catching. It catches almost immediately, so when I shift I need to mash the pedal to the floor.

I did the clutch adjustment (1 notch) and this fixes the problem, but now I'm unsure if I'm putting undue pressure on the clutch by having it partially disengaged all the time, even when my foot's off it... not necessarily enough to make it slip, but maybe enough to wear something?

What's the best solution, with the stock setup? What would a firewall adjuster and quadrant do for me?

Second part of the question: It seems my Tri-Ax is VERY notchy... sometimes it goes smoothly into gear, but usually it really clunks in there - this is with the clutch pedal fully depressed (even after the 1-notch adjustment.) I didn't think much of it until I drove my friend's stock 03 Cobra with the new clutch kit.... his car shifts SO EASY and so smooth. Is there a problem with my shifter? Clutch? Transmission?

I'm so confused =(

Thanks! :)

~Berj

PhillyCobra

Established Member
You did the right thing, but probably need to go out another few clicks and get the engagement up near the top of the clutch travel. The clutch will not be partially disengaged unless there is absolutely no free travel in the pedal, which will only occur when it's worn out or you go nuts with adjustment. Your hard shifting syptoms are indicative of the clutch not totally releasing. If you can't adjust it properly with the stock setup, an aftermarket adjustable quadrant and cable setup would help.

Was the engagement point always low in your car?

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
I believe it was always pretty low on this car, if not always to the floor. This is my second Cobra (accident, long story) but I don't remember having this problem with the first one.

Could the sloppy shifting be a result of shifting with a partially engaged clutch for too long, ruining the synchros!?! I never force it into gear, but sometimes it makes a good chunk as it goes in (instead of sliding into gear.)

~Berj

PhillyCobra

Established Member
To be honest the trans is pretty strong. While some people have broken it, it hopefully will shift fine once you work out the clutch issue. Would expect a lot of noise on shifting if synchros are bad.

Users who are viewing this thread