Clutch???????'s

Shoeman 1

Established Member
I'm getting ready to install a new motor in my 97. I decided to go with the 99/01 11" upgrade from Ford. The question I have is with the TOB, I know there was/is some bad raps on the King Cobra kits TOB. Suggestion was the Timken TOB instead of the Ford one in that kit. Anyone know about the (11") upgrade and whether that particular TOB is the same as in the King Cobra kit???
Thanks

toast

Established Member
I have heard that its more about HOW the bearing is installed rather than merely what brand it is. That said, I have a Timken in my car and had my clutch installed at a dealership and its chirping already.

uofipilot

Established Member
I figure if the stock piece lasted 70k in my case, I would be good to go with a new one. I ordered a stock TOB and used that (didnt know the KC kit came with the same one).

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
LISTEN UP EVERYONE, THIS WILL SAVE YOUR TOB.

Before you install the tranny, apply a mild amount of ANTI-SIEZE compound on the bearing retainer sleeve, then put the TOB on, the stick the clutch fork on, and after you do this, CENTER the TOB on the input shaft retainer sleeve. CENTER, remember this. If you get it almost perfectly centered, it will NOT squeek.

Don't say I didn't warn ya. I hear this complaint every f-ing day, just do what I said above and properly break the shit in, and it'll be quiet and care-free.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Over 1 year ago, I purchased the Timken TOB to be installed along with my 11" FRPP upgrade kit. The shop refused to use the Timken and wouldn't warrant the work if I forced them to install the Timken. Something about premature failure of the Timken & said that the FRPP TOB is a Superior Product. Not one chirp or problem with TOB provided in the kit. I also installed Firewall Adjuster, Quadrant, and the LDC Kit.

Shoeman 1

Established Member
LISTEN UP EVERYONE, THIS WILL SAVE YOUR TOB.

Before you install the tranny, apply a mild amount of ANTI-SIEZE compound on the bearing retainer sleeve, then put the TOB on, the stick the clutch fork on, and after you do this, CENTER the TOB on the input shaft retainer sleeve. CENTER, remember this. If you get it almost perfectly centered, it will NOT squeek.

Don't say I didn't warn ya. I hear this complaint every f-ing day, just do what I said above and properly break the shit in, and it'll be quiet and care-free.
Good info!!!! I'll give it to the installer. I knew I could count on you guys to answer the question and even with a solution to the problem.
Thanks

Erich

Established Member
I used synthetic grease on mine-will that be ok?
So far so good with the 11 inch ford clutch upgrade.
Erich

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
I used synthetic grease on mine-will that be ok?
So far so good with the 11 inch ford clutch upgrade.
Erich

On the sleeve I assume? That will work, I've done it before, just it attracts more than anti-sieze.

Oh, and BTW guys, when I say center the TOB, I mean center the inner portion of the bearing within the outer portion, you will notice that it can be moved back and forth, and the radius from the outside of the inner bearing portion to the inside of the outer bearing portion should be the same all the way around, like a circle placed perfectly in the center of another circle.

Users who are viewing this thread