clutch replacement??

txblackmach1

StockR
Established Member
the throwout bearing was making a bunch of noise on my 99 that i decided to park it and replace it. so for the past couple of day i have been utilizing the search button, and so far it has worked but it did kit another bump on the road.
i went at it on and off today. i have midpipe and starter off. i spent alot of time getting to that top bolt on starter:mj:.
i started taking off bolts from BBK longtube headers (passenger side) that way i can remove the trans. but im having a hard as time with the last two top bolts..they just wont budge....

now at this point im just beat..busted knuckles and all:bash:
So i was thinking of just droping the engine just enough to get clearance to remove the header. i know that will involve some work disconnecting connectors and hoses ect..

or what other choice do i have:shrug:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
a OEM 03 CLutch and Flywheel would work nicely!!!!

call steve at tousley ford...he will take of ya

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
Going down the same road top two bolts been a pain. Finally going to do the heat the bolt method. Heat let it cool, heat again, let it cool, and heat again and let it cool now please let them turn.

txblackmach1

StockR
Established Member
well i have a spec aluminum flywheel and spec clutch brand new in the box..
my problem is getn damn header off to remove trans...:/

well the middle top bolt i got with a swivel and long extension thru the motor mount bracket...the top one is the harder one since you can really see where its is..at least if you have long tubes..

what worked for me was using the 1/4 in ratchet with extension and 13mm socket..i used the small ratchet because the 3/8 just was too big for the space.

fangs99

Established Member
Use a boxed wrench to extend the handle of your ratchet for more leverage.
That's why I like my T-56, removable bellhouse. Good luck with your super stiff Spec pressure plate.

txblackmach1

StockR
Established Member
Use a boxed wrench to extend the handle of your ratchet for more leverage.
That's why I like my T-56, removable bellhouse. Good luck with your super stiff Spec pressure plate.

yup...ive had spec on my mach 1 some years ago and its definitely a hard pedal..but i cant complain about this because it came with the car when i bought it a couple of months ago..

i would luv a t56 but coins are just not there..:eek:

Niteninja

I Miss my Z...
Established Member
I was told that if you jack the front of the car up high enough, there is a hole that lines up from the front for a long extension to get the top bolt.

fangs99

Established Member
If your going to do that why not drop the engine, k-member, and trans as one assembly?
That's 6 bolts for the k-member plus the 2 for the shocks.

powershifter

Established Member
man i remember doing the same when i installed the LT's on my car, it took forever to get the stock manifolds out, and putting them back on is not easy either space is very limited around the engine. It just takes a lot of patience. I remember loosened the nuts from the motor mounts and lifted the engine a bit to get some extra room, be very careful to not lift the whole car up if it's on jackstands.

Good luck.

ps tubular k-member makes this install a walk in the park

fangs99

Established Member
man i remember doing the same when i installed the LT's on my car, it took forever to get the stock manifolds out, and putting them back on is not easy either space is very limited around the engine. It just takes a lot of patience. I remember loosened the nuts from the motor mounts and lifted the engine a bit to get some extra room, be very careful to not lift the whole car up if it's on jackstands.

Good luck.

ps tubular k-member makes this install a walk in the park

Agreed. A k-member is almost a must with longtubes.
I did my longtubes, T-56, and k-member all at the same time.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I'm guessing you mean the two rear top bolts? Ratcheting wrenches are life savers. Get a stool and stand on the side of the car and wiggle your hand past the A/C tubes and use a ratcheting wrench. I don't know how people install lngtubes in the car. I always bolt them on with the motor out and drop it all in as one. The first time I did it I didn't have a leveler and I had to have the p-side loose to get it in. I used the above method to bolt them on, so it should work for you to get them off.

ps for those that are thinking about headers, this is why you get Hookers, SLP(I think), or American Racing Headers. They don't require pulling the headers to get the tranny out. Not knocking you OP, just providing info :beer:

txblackmach1

StockR
Established Member
If your going to do that why not drop the engine, k-member, and trans as one assembly?
That's 6 bolts for the k-member plus the 2 for the shocks.

thats the plan..but i want to strap the engine and use and engine hoist to lower the whole assy down as a whole instead of just letting the jack do all the work..

a k-member and t56 would of been nice..but santa didnt come thru for me..:bash::D

as far as header well there where already on the car. but if i had stock setup i think i would leave the lts to the end. for the amount of hps you gain its not worth the hassel. at least that my opinion.. and there pricey too

fangs99

Established Member
I bought my car with bassani mid-legenths, with the stock trans and k-member that was a nitemare for clutch job.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Just use the alt bolts and the top two tranny bolts with a chain to the hoist. I have lifted the whole car like that by accident.

txblackmach1

StockR
Established Member
trannys out!!
to bearing was gone and the ball stud for the clutch fork looks worn..
so im gonna order one of those today.

any recommendations on the throw out bearing.. i have the new spec to bearing (all metal) and i also went to autozone to look for the timken #614014 but i didnt like the fact that it had plastic. so far from what i have read the fordracing is a popular choice

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
FRPP Throwout bearing and while you are there might as well get a FRPP Pilot bearing as well. FRPP is the way to go IMO

txblackmach1

StockR
Established Member
i was looking into that one..but i ended up getting the center-force from summit.

a pilot bearing came with the SPEC clutch kit..but it does look diff than the one i removed from car. so i might just have to go to dealer to get it

Users who are viewing this thread