Clutch releasing too high???

untchabl

F8LSNAKE
Established Member
Hey guys, did some searching but couldn't really find any answers to my issue, so here goes...

Just got a 97 Cobra that has an adjustable clutch cable (no idea on brand) and an aftermarket single hook quadrant (no idea on brand here either) but no firewall adjuster (have one to go on it if needed though). The clutch disengages/engages at the very top of the pedal travel (less than 2" of travel from the top). The adjustment nut on the transmission end of the cable has to be at the very end (almost ready to fall off) for the clutch to engage at all. Now, if the cable was stretched, wouldn't I have to tighten the adjustment nut (move it forward) to take up the slack? This almost seems like the cable is too short since the adjustment nut has to be backed all the way off. Not sure what kind of clutch is in the car, definitely stiffer than stock though. Clutch doesn't seem to be slipping (will spin into 3rd gear) but it just releases WAY too high in my opinion. Any suggestions? :shrug: The clutches in my fox-bodies never released this high...

blkstangman88

Established Member
u should have a stock cable cuz there the strongest with the firewall adjuster and quadrant. but if its at the top of the pedal still then ur clutch is probly ready to go.

untchabl

F8LSNAKE
Established Member
I just got the car about 3 weeks ago, which is why I don't know what brand of parts are on it. From what I've been reading, I will be going with an OE Ford cable, a Steeda firewall adjuster (which I have) and I'll keep the aftermarket quadrant that is on the car for now.

As far as the clutch going out, they may be true but it sure does grab well if it is on the way out. Doesn't seem to slip at all. Guess I need to start saving up just in case.

blkstangman88

Established Member
idk ur exact case but im on my stock clutch with 95k miles and d/r's and i can still roast them. but my pedal is at the very top and starts slipping when its raining hard. thats my case anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread