Clutch release noise in first gear only

DSGNator

Established Member
I'm still chasing down noises and vibrations in my 2003 Cobra, but the good news is I'm taking them out one by one. I attribute some of those to the info posted on these forums by all of ya'll. But here's one that doesn't seem quite like anything I've read on here yet. Google searches have turned up a few things for other kinds of cars. But nothing on our generation of Cobras.

I get a really loud chirping/whirring sound (definitely not a grinding or clunking sound) whenever I let out of the clutch to begin moving from a dead stop/very slow roll. It seems to happen at any outside temperature and the length of time the car has been running has no affect either. It sounds like it's coming from the clutch area of the transmission. I'll do my best to get a sound clip or video on here this weekend. My current guess is that it's my throwout bearing. It's got a Centerforce TOB in it. But from what I've read about bad TOBs is that they only chirp when the clutch is let out completely and the sound disappears when the clutch is pressed down. Mine only occurs as I'm letting the clutch out and once I'm off the clutch completely the noise is gone. It doesn't happen in any gear or at any other speeds. It's also got a Centerforce DFX 11" 26 spline clutch and a Fidanza flywheel. The car only has 33,XXX miles on it, not really sure how long ago the aftermarket clutch parts were installed, but I can't imagine they'd already be worn out. (I'm sure stranger things have happened though) Anyone experience this? Or have any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread