Clutch re-learn cost$$

draxxus131

Established Member
Question for any actual Ford Techs on this forum. Recently did a clutch job on my father's 2012 GT, now it is throwing P0300 P0304 P0307. I understand that anytime you do any sort of clutch/transmission, work a clutch re-learn must be done. Yes, we do feel the car is down on power about 50-75 HP or so. We just spoke with a service advisor today and they quoted us $120 for what they call a TCM/PCM aka Clutch Re-learn??! Is this correct or am I missing something here, what the heck is a TCM? I presume it is a Transmission Control Unit, and i believe the PCM is relating to the ECU. I'm stuck in the 90's still, and ECU is still a damn ECU to me.

I thought a KAM reset was all that was needed to get it running good again. Now after doing the KAM reset, it did basically nothing and the P03XX codes are still popping up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Side note* I've already done the KAM reset and cleared the codes a couple times, but they are still popping up.

JTS_7

Established Member
Speak with a senior master tech in the service area ( ask first) most service guys won't have a problem with grabbing one. Explain to him and he might do it for free or a small fee.

$120 is rape I think the one and only time I went through a dealer I paid $50.

You need a neutral profile relearn.

5lho

Established Member
You can't do crank relearns with the X3/4. You can do idle profile relearns. This one needs a trip to the dealer. Negotiate and bring doughnuts and/or beer...$120 is an hour's straight, which is not crazy but, it won't take and hour to hook it up and do this, honestly.

Last edited:

JDos1

Established Member
You can do the crank relearn (misfire monitor neutral position or whatever) with an X4 handheld unit, it's under the "special functions" menu. I borrow someones when I installed my clutch.

5lho

Established Member
You can do the crank relearn (misfire monitor neutral position or whatever) with an X4 handheld unit, it's under the "special functions" menu. I borrow someones when I installed my clutch.

I didn't check. I don't think I could do it with my X3 and assumed my new X4 was the same. Sweet news!

draxxus131

Established Member
For anyone that doesn't know yet,
Yes the sct x4 does have the crank relearn under special functions. Used my brothers last night, worked flawlessly. Screw the dealer, they were trying to charge my father $120 just to view the codes!! That's horrible, he told them exactly what he needed done, and they told him they would not do it UNLESS they pulled the codes first.

draxxus131

Established Member
Took exactly 14 minutes from beginning to end. Do make sure the engine is warmed up first before starting. Otherwise the program will make you wait until it is at operating temperature. Ironically 10 of those minutes were for the engine to warm up!

Users who are viewing this thread