Clutch question

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I've put a quick 100miles on my new clutch and it still doesn't seem right. I'm not complaining rather concerned. Right now pedal effort required is less than the Saleen I had or any other manual transmission I've had. I know my leg hasn't gotten that strong so what gives. :shrug: The techs said it's "should" stiffen back up but currently shows no signs of it. Now all replacement parts were OEM so I didn't expect a change in "feel". Now am I just being paranoid or what? Another tidbit of info release is very early but because of the lack of resistance I'm probably going to end up putting my foot through the floorpan. Opinions?

f4sfed

Established Member
I don't believe that it will "stiffen up" with time...at least not to what you're describing you remember it being. ...yes, I think that was a way to get you out of their hair for a couple weeks.

Could it be that your clutch was never right in the first place? And you're comparing your new correct feeling clutch, to the old incorrect feeling clutch? :shrug:

Silver 03 Cobra

I had a new trans installed for the broken TOB retainer and they installed a new clutch and it was very noticeably lighter than my original clutch. I'm accustomed to it now. I really can't tell if it's stiffened or not. I have had it back for around two weeks.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
I have to agree my transmission was replaced along with the clutch and flywheel. Ford's replacement kit is definitely lighter than my original, but it's better too. I've had better shifts out of it and it doesn't engage half an inch from the floor anymore.

I wouldn't worry about it.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by f4sfed
Could it be that your clutch was never right in the first place? And you're comparing your new correct feeling clutch, to the old incorrect feeling clutch? :shrug:

I guess that's possible since my flywheel was badly torched as well. I asked my wife to try it out and she seemed to think the pedal action was still difficult. But she hasn't driven the car in almost a month and IMO she played a big part in it's early demise. I suppose I'll have to take a trip to the dealer to check another Cobra with a "new" clutch unless anyone can come up with a definitive answer.

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
<snip>I suppose I'll have to take a trip to the dealer to check another Cobra with a "new" clutch unless </snip>

There ya go....that's a good idea! Or is anyone close to you? Maybe you could hook up with someone near you. :shrug:

03DOHC

Established Member
Maybe Ford heard all the complaints of the heavy clutch and came out with a new design. I think I read something about that.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Maybe Ford heard all the complaints of the heavy clutch and came out with a new design. I think I read something about that.

Well I finally got a hold of the tech who did the job. Apparently the replacement kit (Flywheel,pressure plate, clutchpack, tob) from Ford has a redesigned pressure plate. This accounts for the lighter feel of the clutch, and the errored statement of how it should stiffen up. So for those of you that don't like the heavy feeling clutch Ford actually did something about it.:-D

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge
Drop your car off at my place in Palmdale and leave me the keys. I'll drive it for a week or so and let you know if the clutch works properly or not. Put the Nittos on it so that I can heat the tires and get good grip to test the clutch. I would swap cars with you but my car has to go out of service to install the x-pipe. I am making this offer because it is the least one can do for a fellow Cobra owner.

Hmm lemmie think about your offer..........nah I think I'll pass ;-)

OBTW you decide on wher you're getting the H-pipe installed, or are you going to do a self install?

Users who are viewing this thread