clutch quadrant/firewall adjusters

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
could someone please explain how these work/what they do?? I think I would feel better with a little more clarity on what they do exactly... I have been noticing that I "feel" like I need to put the car in N every once in a while and then pop the clutch a few times (not in gear) to get the clutch to feel normal to me.. its like sometimes it just feels mushy?? anyone else notice this?? perhaps I am just going crazy or something, but I have noticed it on my old v6 when I was driving it as well, so its not just this car, its either a inherent issue, or I am the issue...

I was currious if these would redemy something like this... thanks in advance!
:beer:

mystic1

KB'd BITCH!!!!
Established Member
Yes it will cure your mushy clutch feeling and give you more adjustment at which point you want the clutch to engage. Good investment down the road for an aftermarket clutch.

FKing1

Established Member
The quadrant replaces the factory plastic part with an aluminum one that also has a quicker release ratio than stock. The adjuster, as noted in the above post, also permits adjustment nearer the top of clutch travel to disengage quicker allowing faster shifts.
Fred K.
:rockon:

Un4Gvn

Established Member
Do these two mods have to be done together or can the Quadrant be done individually?

I only ask because I have seen a few threads where people feel an improper adjustment with the Firewall Adjuster was to blame for premature clutch wear.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Un4Gvn

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
Ok, I will have to look into them. I understand where the firewall adjuster is located, and also what its purpose is (now). I am still confused on the quadrant, and why they have single hook and 3 hook versions. is this another adjustment? and if so, is this hooked to the bell houseing or where is this part located at?? I guess I am still lost on how that "helps" shifting... does anyone have a pict to where its located? I am just trying to do some homework before buying...

Oh, and is there any reason to get a new cable, or can I reuse the stock cable?? (rather do that)

I like the look of the UPR products (the firewall adjuster now has dual locks on it ot keep it from moving and a wider base to keep it from wiggling around...) any other company that is better, or is UPR the way to go??

EDIT: one last question as well... what is everyone else using, and why... the 3 hook, or the 1 hook "quick release" version??

TIA

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
You need to do a search on the subject. Also look into a pedal height adjuster, it makes the brake and clutch pedals the same height.

I havn't done it yet, but will if my TOB chirp ever gets fixed.

03Bra

Established Member
The quadrant is located under the dash and is what the cable connects to the pedal with. When you press the pedal down it rotates and pulls the cable which releases the clutch. The factory one is made of plastic and after some hard power shifting tends to wear out quickly. Aftermarket ones are made of metal so tend to last longer. "Quick Release" ones are made to curve more so they pull the cable quicker hence the clutch is released quicker. Hope this helps a little in your decision.

FKing1

Established Member
Above posts are all good. The mods can be done separately, however, for the small cost most everyone does them together.
Fred K.

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
where are some good vendors to get these the firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant???

Steeda i think has them . . . anywhere else?

qwicksnake

Established Member
I had a problem with my UPR adjuster. My car wouldn't downshift from 6th to 5th. Then I figured out that if I shut the car off, I could downshift. So I messed around with the firewall adjuster and now it shifts in every gear. I'm glad, I thought something was messed up in the tranny.:bash:

Kiddk1

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL
Established Member
Originally posted by FKing1
Above posts are all good. The mods can be done separately, however, for the small cost most everyone does them together.
Fred K.

Fred, are these mods easy to install yourself? BTW cool license plate, I tried to get that one but obiviously it was taken so I picked a different version of it. Hope to see you around some time.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Originally posted by Kiddk1
Fred, are these mods easy to install yourself? BTW cool license plate, I tried to get that one but obiviously it was taken so I picked a different version of it. Hope to see you around some time.

I've done the UPR clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster. I can help you out if you plan on doing it if you want.

Kiddk1

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL
Established Member
Originally posted by unit213
I've done the UPR clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster. I can help you out if you plan on doing it if you want.
Cool, thanks alot. The dealer is installing a new tranny in the car today, if that still does not solve the reverse problem I am having I will install the quadrant.

FKing1

Established Member
Originally posted by Kiddk1
I had Livernois Motorsports do mine together with all the other mods. Cost was $175 which included the 2 kits. They estimate 2.5 hrs labor.
Was surprised I was able to get that plate. Thanks.
Fred K.

Last edited:

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
Originally posted by 03Bra
The quadrant is located under the dash and is what the cable connects to the pedal with. When you press the pedal down it rotates and pulls the cable which releases the clutch. The factory one is made of plastic and after some hard power shifting tends to wear out quickly. Aftermarket ones are made of metal so tend to last longer. "Quick Release" ones are made to curve more so they pull the cable quicker hence the clutch is released quicker. Hope this helps a little in your decision.

You just clarified it for me.. thank you very much.. now I just need to decide if I want the quick release or the 3 hook... I am likeing the 3 hook, cause its hard enough to pump that clutch in traffic in the am.... I should be able to reuse the shock cable right/? I think I am going ot get the 3hook/ double lock firewall adjuster from upr.. they have a package deal that doesn't look bad.... :beer:

Swervedriver

Established Member
Stock cable is better than the aftermarket ones. 3 hook all the way. I've read a post about the sharp bend in a quick-release wearing the cable pre-maturely.

The cable hooks from the quad through the firewall adjuster then to the clutch fork inside the bellhousing. If you release the cable from the quad. keep tension on the wire part of the cable to keep it from plopping out of the clutch fork. (if it does plop free you have to jack up the car, remove the cable access panel on the bell housing & reconnect which means more work. I clamped the cable with a shop towel & some small vice grips.

The stock setup is self adjusting and that's where the problem is. There are gear teeth on the quad and hard use can ratchet the teeth out of allignment so you're re-aligning it by working, dumping the clutch in N. The aftermarket adjusters are screw adjusters so you have to pop the hood & make a few twists.

The UPR adjuster is a tight fit into the firewall, but it does fit! BUT, you can only reach one screw hole! It works like this, and I'll just have to put the bottom screw in when I lower the engine for header installation (whenever that happens)

Last point: I've read threads about the end of the stock cable shield not fitting into the UPR adjuster sleeve and to throw the sleeve away. I simply mashed the no longer needed retension snap from the cable shield with some pliers & made it fit. The nice thing about doing this is that it stays snug.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
Hey.. thanks a lot Swervedriver, I liked the no bs post, just the facts... I will now go with the 3 hook design, and I like the idea of leaving the stock cable.... I think I will be ordering my upr pieces shortly here!!! Thanks so much for the info everyone!!

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
I just installed mine the other night…..took longer than I thought, but patience is a virtue…I have the UPR extreme clutch quad/fw adjuster...

The feeling is night and day…but I think I need to go buy some rubber grommet or washers to put on each side of the new quadrant and both mounting spots, to keep it from making minor noises when it shakes a little….

Also, does anyone else with this notice that the clutch cable rubber stopper inside the engine doesn’t fit snug up against the firewall adjuster even when the adjuster is all the way out (farthest towars the front of the car)?

Oh btw, the directions that come with it are crap…do a search and you shuold find a acrobat file somewhere with great directions.

Users who are viewing this thread