Clutch quad/Firewall adj. install tips needed

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Can anyone offer a website or something of that nature where there are good instructions on how to install both of these. I got the ones from Steeda. Pictures are helpfull. Thanks

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
http://www.shane.roberts.net/quad.htm
http://www.azdroptop.homestead.com/...allInstall.html
http://www.steeda.com/instructions/doublehook.htm
I have the URP Triple hook quadrant and UPR firewall Adj.
I personally followed the steeda directions. When I replaced the quadrant I did not reuse any of the springs on the stock setup or any at all, just the pin to hold the quadrant in place. Also I used a dremel to saw the plastic piece off of the stock firewall adj. . do the quadrant first and use the second hook cause the 3rd does not fit. Also when the firewall adj. is ready to be installed it is easier to have both pieces of the upr adj. screwed together set it in place in the firewall. so that when installed it fits in between the engine and firewall, and gives you enough space to srew it in. As far as the missing screws I think you can use and old screw thats about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long. I used the two upper holes of the firewall adj. becuase its impossible to screw in the bottom one. Use a drill to start a hole for the upper right hole. Hope this helps. If you need anything else just pm me. Good luck , Jared.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Try to find Postban's write up. Maybe check his sig for a link. He has some nice pics...

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I like that spring on the TOB fix. I am going to crawl under the car and see if pulling back on the arm stops my noise. If so looks like I will be fabricating also. Anyone else tried this?

Looks like a job Ford might do to save TOB's

Last edited:

AzDropTop

Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
Can anyone offer a website or something of that nature where there are good instructions on how to install both of these. I got the ones from Steeda. Pictures are helpfull. Thanks

Here is a link to my install...Done on a 99, but I imagine it's basically the same. LINK

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Thanks guys!!! Install was easy. I made sure that there is about 1/4 inch of play off of the TOB. I cant believe how well the car shifts now. Its amazing. Thanks again! BTW, anyone who doesnt have this, GET IT! It will prevent your TOB from going so soon, and makes your car a dream to shift!

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
When I got the car back from the dealer after the TOB was replaced, the clutch was VERY soft(wich I thought was very wierd because they didnt touch the clutch). There was also a ton of play in the clutch, and it engaged VERY low to the floor. Thank god this only lasted a day. After I installed the two steeda pieces, I adjusted the clutch, and wow. I cant say its softer now, it just feels perfect. It engages nice and high, 1/4 inch of play in the pedal so the TOB will last, and shifts like butta!

AzDropTop

Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
Thanks guys!!! Install was easy. I made sure that there is about 1/4 inch of play off of the TOB. I cant believe how well the car shifts now. Its amazing. Thanks again! BTW, anyone who doesnt have this, GET IT! It will prevent your TOB from going so soon, and makes your car a dream to shift!

How exactly did you make sure you were 1/4 inch off of the TOB?

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I meant 1/4 inch of play in the pedal. Sorry, but I did take the inspection plate off of the tranny and adjusted the cable so that the TOB was not touching the clutch. I noticed that if you have the cable set to tight, that will happen. I think thats why the TOB on our cars go bad. (could be wrong) The stock clutch quad just doesnt have the ability to do this type of adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread