Clutch Problems

kencurtis

I have a 04' Cobra. I bought a Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch and had it installed at a local shop. At first it was great, engaged real smooth, no problems. I took it straight home, didnt drive hard at all. The next day the damn thing sounded like a choo choo train. When I pushed the clutch in the noise stopped....let it back out and it started again. I had a Throwout bearing installed too and it didn't solve the problem. So I took it back and the mechanic cut off the weights that were around the diaphram of the clutch...yes he was a moron but i did'nt know. Said that was making the noise..put everything back together and wola, the noise continued and on top of that it didn't shift as smooth at higher RPM's. So i took it to another shop and they didn't find anything wrong. I'm lost don't know what the hell this noise is and its a hell of a lot worse now. Sounds like the damn thing is about to fall apart. I've spent $1200 just in labor trying to figure this thing out. Does anyone know what this noise may be?

Ironhand

Banned
Did you install a quadrant and firewall adjuster as well? Did you use a Ford TOB?

Also the weights are there for a reason and slap ur mechanic cause he dont know sh*t about clutches.

kencurtis

I didn't install a quadrant and firewall adjuster and the TOB I installed was from Lightning Performance...not sure if it was a Ford TOB. I didn't slap the sh$t out of the mechanic (desperately wanted too) but I did roast em and told him he was an idiot and should never set foot in a garage. Dumba$$. Could a quandrant and firewall adjuster stop it from making that noise?

Ironhand

Banned
I didn't install a quadrant and firewall adjuster and the TOB I installed was from Lightning Performance...not sure if it was a Ford TOB. I didn't slap the sh$t out of the mechanic (desperately wanted too) but I did roast em and told him he was an idiot and should never set foot in a garage. Dumba$$. Could a quandrant and firewall adjuster stop it from making that noise?

It helps with engagement and clutch life. It its not adjusted properly then it could not be fully engaged against the flywheel. Using the Ford TOB is the best one to use from what Ive heard. I took the Spec one I was given and threw it away and got the Ford TOB instead. I then proceeded to put over 30K miles on that clutch without a problem.

mayer65

Lost
Established Member
If it only makes the horrid sound with the clutch pressed it is a 90% chance of throwout bearing. It may be you just got a bad bearing, happens. If that is the case I know lightning performance would work with you.

The adjusters will help with the shifts at different parts, with all the messing around you may not be fulling engaging when the clutch is pressed and those are easy, you could do those yourself as long as you can get underneath far enough to take the clutch cable off.

Horrid situation, I do my own work as a novice mechanic so that when something goes wrong it is my fault. :)

Last edited:

kencurtis

I'll try to go with the Ford TOB whenever i can get back into the clutch and throw in a quadrant and firewall adjuster..maybe that will help. Mayer65: it doesn't make that sound when the clutch is pressed but when I take my foot off the clutch..when its not engaged it makes that sound. Horrible. I need to learn more about workin on Cobra's before i get in there and start messin with stuff. Cant work on em just yet..but I can race my ass off. I feel ya though...its best to do stuff on your own. Cost a lot less too!

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
If it makes that sound with the pedal up, then it means it's not adjusted. If you don't have an aftermarket quadrant/firewall adjuster, you need to pull up on the pedal by hand, then press it down with your foot (engine off and transmission in neutral). That sound is probably the clutch not fully engaged.

If the weights were cut off, you might as well put a new clutch in when you change the TOB. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread