Clutch Problems

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
Enclosed is a video that shows my clutch fork being weird. I installed a new clutch in the car about a month and a half ago. After a while, I started getting a vibrating feeling in the pedal and the clutch would engage in first with the pedal to the floor and more recently, I have to shut the car off in order to get it in first. The fork moves in and out and around and has lots of play. What do I have to do to fix this? Should I take everything apart again or is there a way to access it sufficiently through the hole in the bellhousing seen in the video? I don't know what is causing the vibration in the pedal, but I think it is most likely that it has something to do with this fork issue. I don't even know if I am linking this video correctly...

Somebody help me!

th_CobraFork.gif

Stewpid

Established Member
I just bought my car, and the clutch was done right before. the guy who installed mine didn't line up the spring tangs in the groove on the throwout bearing. I've tried reinstalling it through the hole, but it looks like I'm pulling the tranny. I think it might be the same as yours, but hard to tell in the video.

95gts5oh

wat
Established Member
Did you put the pivot stud back in? It holds the fork in place on the other end you're holding. Thats a good bit of play, do you have a firewall adjuster or anything?

Edit: Also, did you slide the t/o bearing into the fork correctly? Not trying to criticize your mechanic work, just trying to eliminate some things.

Last edited:

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
I don't know if I did it all correctly or not. I think I did... everything was in there pretty well a while back and now it is all "loosey goosey". The only pivot point is on the other side of the fork than the part I am holding, correct? And I'm pretty sure the fork and TOB can only go together one way. I guess I should just take it back apart, huh? ... Damn.

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
If anyone cares, I figured out my problem today. Upon taking out the tranny, I discovered that the top pivot point has been stripped out of the bellhousing. I bought a tap and heli-coil and should be good to go tomorrow. Just thought I'd let you folks know what happened. I have no idea how it could have happened, but that's what it was.

Users who are viewing this thread