Clutch problems

Sn951997SVT

Established Member
Good morning

Here’s the story

This morning it was raining and i started up my 97 cobra and pulled out heading to work , my work is about 45-50 miles from my home.

((Note- about a year 1/2 ago I had a new clutch cable and stage 2 clutch installed.))

[Anyway’s back to the story]

About 10 miles from work , when I had to stop at a stop sign I noticed the clutch pedal was stiff to push and acted like it was binding up. Ever since had the clutch installed a year 1/2 ago , I haven’t had any issues till now.

((Note- It’s got the stock adjuster for the clutch pedal still. ))

Anyway’s if someone may point me in the right direction on this issue.

Thank You

Chip Schweiss

Established Member
Is that an aftermarket cable? Every aftermarket cable I've used broke or the housing would collapse and pinch the cable.

After 3 or 4 aftermarket cables, I only use Ford cables now.

Daniel_Mc

Established Member
I had a similar issue/pedal feel when the pivot stud failed for the clutch fork (well for a few shifts then it completely bound up. I would check the cable first, the MM unit is a modified OEM unit IIRC if you wanted to go the firewall adjuster route.

-Daniel

Sn951997SVT

Established Member
I had a similar issue/pedal feel when the pivot stud failed for the clutch fork (well for a few shifts then it completely bound up. I would check the cable first, the MM unit is a modified OEM unit IIRC if you wanted to go the firewall adjuster route.

-Daniel
Thank you for the information , much appreciated.

shurur

Established Member
Well…the cable snapped about 10 miles from home and it was fun getting home.

But I limped her into the driveway.
As I understand it, aftermarket cables are thinner than Ford OEM cables and MM cables. They seem to get pinched in the pulley-cams and wear thin.

Even Steeda cables were failing.

Take the advice of the previous posters and get a Ford OEM or MM Cable with firewall adjuster.
They are thicker and don't get near the stress that makes other cables pinch, stretch, wear thin and break.

I run a MM cable with firewall adjuster and clutch stop. The cable is also encased in a thermal sleeve that wraps with velcro.

The other fix is to go with a hydraulic Modern DriveLine (MDL) clutch kit...and be done with all the cable shit.

Last edited:

Sn951997SVT

Established Member
As I understand it, aftermarket cables are thinner than Ford OEM cables and MM cables. They seem to get pinched in the pulley-cams and wear thin.

Even Steeda cables were failing.

Take the advice of the previous posters and get a Ford OEM or MM Cable with firewall adjuster.
They are thicker and don't get near the stress that makes other cables pinch, stretch, wear thin and break.

I run a MM cable with firewall adjuster and clutch stop. The cable is also encased in a thermal sleeve that wraps with velcro.

The other fix is to go with a hydraulic Modern DriveLine (MDL) clutch kit...and be done with all the cable shit.
Thank you for the information , for now I will find an OEM cable or the MM Cable with adjuster.

Later down the road I would like to swap everything out to a (Modern Drivline Hydraulic Clutch Kit) and as you said..Be done with the all the cable shit!

Users who are viewing this thread