clutch problem

kevin

went to the track this weekend and i'm looking for suggestions of what might be wrong and possible fix's (and replacement parts if so) before i tear into something i really don't need to.

--put the car in the trailer with no shifting problems (i do not leave it in gear to strap it down or haul it).

--would not go into any gear position to get it out of the trailer with the motor running.

--turn the motor off and the shifter would go into all positions (this is how i got it out of the trailer)

--under the dash made what little adjustment i could on the cable

--got two sessions of track time in

--got ready for the third - put the clutch in, put it in first, started the car -and with the clutch pedal to the floor - the car started moving at a pretty good clip - still couldn't shift into any other gears while running, stopped turned off the car, restarted again like before, and again with clutch pedal to the floor drove in into the trailer

-does not appear the fork is bent
-no sounds of a busted clutch plate - just always engaged
-clutch pedal has back pressure to it when pushing and comes back up fully on it's own when released

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Years ago you had a clutch issue. Is this the same as far as symptoms?

Have you replaced the plastic clutch quadrant under the dash?

Tom

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Kevin:

Is the clutch noisy? If so it may be the input shaft retainer? :shrug: I blew mine out. The OEM one is a POS. The replacement is much beefier!

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

kevin

Kevin:

Is the clutch noisy? If so it may be the input shaft retainer? :shrug: I blew mine out. The OEM one is a POS. The replacement is much beefier!

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

no noise of any kind at all.

just trying to find out the possibilities so i don't end up having to yank the tranny if i don't have to.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Possibly a stretched clutch cable...

If not that, then I would think your pressure plate & disc are shot and need to be replaced.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
In your first post you state you adjusted the cable. I didn't think the stock cable was adjustable. Is it an aftermarket cable?

From your description it sounds like the pressure plate is working fine.

I would look closely at the plastic quadrant under the dash. It sounds to me like the teeth on it are stripped and allowing the clutch to not fully engage which is why you can't start or stop it without the car trying to move.

Get an adjustable cable, aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster.

Have you done the Ford "adjust the quadrant" thing where you lift the clutch pedal up?

Tom

Bill Anderson

Established Member
could be a bad pressure plate...the diaphram plates are notorious for this...or could be a cable/quadrant issue...

with someone in the car to operate the clutch pedal, remove the dust shield that covers the fork opening and check to be sure the fork is moving at least an inch or so as the pedal is operated, if it is, it is more than likely a bad pressure plate, if not, probably the cable or quadrant....

best of luck

Last edited:

kevin

I would look closely at the plastic quadrant under the dash. It sounds to me like the teeth on it are stripped and allowing the clutch to not fully engage which is why you can't start or stop it without the car trying to move.

Get an adjustable cable, aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster.

Have you done the Ford "adjust the quadrant" thing where you lift the clutch pedal up?

Tom

is this what you and mark are suggesting? Steeda Mustang Clutch Adjuster Kit (96-04) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

and what is the ford "adjust the quadrant" thing?

i have not had a chance yet to check out if the clutch pedal lifts up from its static position.

bill, i've not yet had a chance to try your suggestion.

thanks all for your help

93SVTCobra

Established Member
The Steeda one would work fine.

This is how you adjust the clutch quadrant:

1. Put your toes behind the clutch pedal while sitting in the car.
2. Pull the clutch pedal towards you and release.
3. Push the clutch pedal to the floor and release it quickly so that it springs up. (I usually roll my foot off the side of the pedal)
4. Repeat a couple times if you haven't done it recently.
5. Enjoy!

If you have never done this that might help you out.

kevin

The Steeda one would work fine.

This is how you adjust the clutch quadrant:

1. Put your toes behind the clutch pedal while sitting in the car.
2. Pull the clutch pedal towards you and release.
3. Push the clutch pedal to the floor and release it quickly so that it springs up. (I usually roll my foot off the side of the pedal)
4. Repeat a couple times if you haven't done it recently.
5. Enjoy!

If you have never done this that might help you out.

thanks mark. i just finished trying this: the pedal had no room to move towards me and after trying it several times - no joy.

my brother is coming over tonight to give bill's suggestion a try.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Hmm.... have you tried doing a REALLY big burnout? I hear that this sometimes will fix this issue.

(Let's see how far we can take this....) :whine:

kevin

Hmm.... have you tried doing a REALLY big burnout? I hear that this sometimes will fix this issue.

(Let's see how far we can take this....) :whine:

here's the latest:

with someone in the car pushing the clutch pedal down the fork moves a good 1 1/2 - 2 inches.

i did 4-5 full burnouts this past weekend to "clean" the clutch and it seemed to help, but only lasted the 2 sessions.

so, it seems the clutch cable is working, but still no noise from anything

kevin

ok, got an adjustable cable kit coming but i figure i'm still gonna need to pull the trans to see what's really the problem.

if i need to replace the clutch - any recommendations? i'd like something more capable than stock if someone knows of something and has had good luck with it.

thanks all.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
here's the latest:

with someone in the car pushing the clutch pedal down the fork moves a good 1 1/2 - 2 inches.

i did 4-5 full burnouts this past weekend to "clean" the clutch and it seemed to help, but only lasted the 2 sessions.

so, it seems the clutch cable is working, but still no noise from anything

Hhmmm...not good. I would install the clutch cable/quadrant anyway because the plastic quadrant is something that will go. It isn't a matter of IF, it is a matter of WHEN. So, eliminate that item from ruining a future track weekend.

Sounds like you are pulling the tranny and replacing the pressure plate. Might as well do the rest of the items such as disc, throw-out bearing and input bearing/bushing.

Tom

kevin

Hhmmm...not good. I would install the clutch cable/quadrant anyway because the plastic quadrant is something that will go. It isn't a matter of IF, it is a matter of WHEN. So, eliminate that item from ruining a future track weekend.

Sounds like you are pulling the tranny and replacing the pressure plate. Might as well do the rest of the items such as disc, throw-out bearing and input bearing/bushing.

Tom

already ordered cable/adjuster/quadrant figured the same as what you said.

i figure i'm just stuck with pulling the tranny at this point. i'll just replace all the items involved.

third time i'll have had to pull it - looking for a heavier duty/higher performance/more hp/tq clutch now. looking for suggestions on this.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Kevin,

I don't have any clutch recommendations. You might go read a little in the Terminator forum. Those guys are putting out similar power numbers to what your are.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread