Clutch problem

kirbyVA

Established Member
Just replaced the clutch on my 2002 mustang gt and when i got the car onto the ground, I pressed the clutch pedal down and started the car and the clutch was EXTREMELY hard. when the clutch pedal was all the way down i tried putting it into gear and it wouldn't let me. so i popped it into gear and the tires started to rotate ( with the car off of the ground) so i pressed my foot on the brake and the car stalled out. need help! is this a clutch cable problem? thanks -james:nonono::fm::bored:

DragginFeet

Established Member
I really hope you got it fixed by now. Sorry out of 60 something people who viewed your post know one could or wanted to help. I would just take the transmission back off and make sure you have the throw out bearing and fork installed properly and be sure when matting the tranny back to the engine it slides into place flush without the help of the bolts. Wish I could be more help.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Is it an aftermarket clutch or oem? Did you install an aftermarket clutch quadrant? Did you replace the clutch cable?

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It sounds to me like the clutch isn't disengaging. You need an OEM type, non-adjustable clutch cable. Aftermarket clutch quadrants and firewall adjusters help wonders as well since the stock quadrant is crap.

bobby_0081

Established Member
Just replaced the clutch on my 2002 mustang gt and when i got the car onto the ground, I pressed the clutch pedal down and started the car and the clutch was EXTREMELY hard. when the clutch pedal was all the way down i tried putting it into gear and it wouldn't let me. so i popped it into gear and the tires started to rotate ( with the car off of the ground) so i pressed my foot on the brake and the car stalled out. need help! is this a clutch cable problem? thanks -james:nonono::fm::bored:

Did you figure this out? Did you try the adjustment procedure that has you pull up on the clutch pedal with the top of your foot? The old clutch was wore out and the adjuster was adjusted for it and when you put that thick new clutch in then it wasn't all the way disengaged. Hope you figured it out.

forged00

Established Member
I need help with this too. Just pulled the motor and trans in a 01 GT, and the clutch cables too loose. It won't disengage. I tried the self adjusting method with the stock quadrant but it's still too loose.

Users who are viewing this thread