Clutch Pedal Vibration

BigTerminator

Established Member
Hey guys,

I am getting a lot of vibration through the clutch pedal which in turn is causing lots of rattling which is getting on my nerves.

Just for some background, we swapped a shitty T45 for another shitty T45. The tranny works but is definitely not the nicest shifting thing out there. During the swap, we replaced the pilot and throw out bearing, and the fly wheel. The clutch itself is a Centerforce Dual Friction that I believe has less than 10k miles on it and was in decent shape when we took it out. MGW shifter on top of everything.

When in neutral there is absolutely no vibration. The vibration goes away when the clutch is engaged. All the vibration occurs when in gear. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear have more vibration than 4th and 5th. 4th and 5th shift much nicer than 1-3, I don't know if that is correlated. Now there does seem to be some play with the firewall adjuster and the cable. The problem is the engagement point is currently pretty high with a little bit of play so I cannot really put more tension on the cable.

Here is a pic of the firewall adjuster down below. There is some wiggle room between the black circular part and the metal it is resting against. Any thoughts on what I should do? Looking around people say to get a new clutch cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster. Others say it is the throw out bearing or even flywheel, but those were replaced with the tranny swap.

20160707_200556[1].jpg

Any help is appreciated!

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
Is there vibration as you let out the clutch? Is there vibration when it's in reverse? Are you sure you got the clutch fully seated on the dowel pins and torqued down right?

Maybe the "new" transmission is just as bad/worse as the old one.

Did you notice any play in the input shaft?

Was there vibration before the transmission swap?

How are your universal joints? Maybe the driveshaft is out of balance?

MustangMatt77

Established Member
3 things come to mind from possible to possible but not likely IMO:

- worn pivot ball/ fork prongs
- bent or fatigued quadrant
- bent input shaft

BigTerminator

Established Member
For those looking at this in the future, adding more tension to the clutch cable with the clutch cable free play mod fix the rattling, also made shifting a bit smoother.

MustangMatt77

Established Member
+1 Pivot Ball
Mine was out of spec with 160K, it rattled the crap out of the inspection cover and my pedal.
Replaced, all gone.

On a side note - swapping shitty for shitty, you may have a bent shaft too.

Users who are viewing this thread