Clutch pedal stiffness

blue4d

Established Member
Clutch pedal became very stiff after an adjustable cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster was installed. I still have the stock clutch. What is weird is that after about a 10 min ride or right after the car reaches normal operating temp it goes back to a more stock feel. Is this normal? thanks

CWD

Established Member
With all those changes

it will feel different. Important thing is that the clutch is adjusted properly. How much free play is there in the pedal if any, where is the clutch engaging off the floor, nothing in a bind etc. If the adjustment on the firewall adjuster isn't tight or set properly the cable length adjustment can change with normal driving. Hope this helps.

blue4d

Established Member
No free play in the pedal. The clutch engages about halfway. What makes it so strange is that when the clutch is cold it is very stiff, but when the car warms up it gets much lighter. Yesterday when I went out for lunch it was 80 degrees outside and the pedal was pretty light. Could it have something to do with temp? Last few weeks after install have been pretty cold for florida

CWD

Established Member
In my opinion

The temp would have nothing to do with anything from the pedal to the clutch fork. Now consider the throw out bearing and sleeve. As the car warms up the TO bearing may move easier on the sleeve. If that is the case a new one is due soon. How many miles? Car been "beat on"? Drive train making any noise? Check the connection at the bell housing just to make sure nothing is in a bind. Cable has to be ran just right prior to final attachment to TO bearing bracket. Check dust cover and retainer clip that holds cable in place. ETC. Good luck!

CWD

Established Member
Oh, adjust

The firewall adjuster in as to put a freeplay in the pedal and clutch engage sooner off the floor. About a third the way off the floor. Should have no adjustment left only if worn out..clutch that is. Shift ok?

blue4d

Established Member
Car has 61k mi on it. bought it in aug of 05 with 36k mi on it. I drive fairly normal. It does get beat on some but not all the time. This is my fourth mustang, but my first cobra. Shifting since I bought the car has left much to be desired. It's no where near as smooth as my 00 gt with a spec 3

CWD

Established Member
Time for new parts

Should be smooth. I'd say time to yank the trans and put in a new clutch. Spec 3 would be a great place to start. I'd say your problem will only get worse if not fixed. Good luck.:beer:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Try reinstalling the stock cable.
Adjustable cables are failure prone and can cause the problem you are having.

For the lube on the TOB tube to be causing a problem, it would have to be zero degress outside.

BTW, there should be some freeplay in the clutch setup. No freeplay will smoke the clutch.

Dana

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
blue4d said:
Clutch pedal became very stiff after an adjustable cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster was installed. I still have the stock clutch. What is weird is that after about a 10 min ride or right after the car reaches normal operating temp it goes back to a more stock feel. Is this normal? thanks
My vote is on the "adjustable cable". Get a stock cable and I'll bet it gets better. There have been "issues" with aftermarket cables. The stockers work best. IMO

blue4d

Established Member
Got the problem fixed. Put the stock cable back in per hp by hermann in tampa. Worked like a charm. According to him aftermarket adjustable cables are junk. I now agree.

Users who are viewing this thread