clutch pedal "soft" and hangs after a wot pull

13GT500SG

Established Member
Bllit
The only reason its there is to make it easier to press down the clutch its a helper. Even without it will be minimally harder to push down. If you ever drove a terminator with a mechanical clutch this thing will press like butter even after the spring is removed.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Snoopy49,
If your Shelby was having this problem would you remove the spring or would you go back to the dealer? The car was designed with this that's why I wouldn't remove mine new clutch and all is good for now.There has to be something else or every Shelby would be doing it. Just saying.

I've disabled my spring, I safety wired the coils closed just to see what effect it would have and I like the way the clutch pedal feels. As soon as I get a chance, I will be removing it. I am procrastinating because I am not as flexible or compact as as once was, so I will need to remove the seat to gain access.

I wasn't having a problem with the clutch, I just disliked the two-stage feel of the clutch pedal. That was reason enough for me.

Bllit11

Established Member
Let us know how it goes, snoopy49 i'm not as young as I once was I would have to take the seat out as well. You said you were able to safety wire the spring I may try that just to see how the clutch pedal feels.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I used three pieces of .032" 302 stainless steel safety wire spaced around the spring. You can wire the spring with the pedal in the full out position, the spring is collapsed in this position. If I was going to use this as permanent solution, I would use a heavier gauge safety wire. You only need to tie the inner 2 coils together to get the job done.

SafetyWiredClutchPedalAssistSpring_zpsf95ada39.gif

Last edited:

13GT500SG

Established Member
Spring is out clutch is firmer but feels great. I prefer the firm cliutch. Got on it but couldnt row any gears... no sticking pedal as of now though. Holy shit this thing pulls pretty good in this 29* weather. Secobd gear is a joke even with tge nittos when its this cold.

13GT500SG

Established Member
Well to be honest its been awhile since ive cussed that much at one time... i had to stop for a min or two or i wouldve yanked the pedal right off the floor haha I just followed the syeps in the video. All in all its easy however im over 6 ft and 260 lbs. Let me tell ya something, they couldnt make it any tighter down there hahaha!

Snoopy49

Established Member
What did you have to do to remove the switch above the pedal? The video was a little vague. Does it pop off or does it come off in another way? How hard was it to remove the top pin?

13GT500SG

Established Member
Clip you need to take flat head and pry up and pull at same time which is a mofo bc its next to impossible to germt both of my hands up there. Heating pad on back after you are done is the last part of the install lmao.

13GT500SG

Established Member
Thats the easiest part just make sure you dont lose that clip. Pry open metal clip. Very easy. However be careful that plastic that hold that whole cruise plug in there is like a mm thick lol mines broke and now i have no cruise control....

Snoopy49

Established Member
Is there a cradle at the top that the pin sits in, if so, is open at the back? From what I read on another forum, you don't have to pull the pin to remove the top part of the spring assembly, it just pops out of a cradle. If that is the case, how much force did it take to get the top out of the bracket? Maybe the flat in the pin needs to be rotated to the bottom so it can clear the bottom opening in the bracket.

Here's a picture of the spring assembly and the pin.

ClutchAssistSpringandPin_zps68ae8988.gif

Thanks for your help and patience

Users who are viewing this thread