Clutch Pedal Problems?

wlg101190

Established Member
Mods for tranny/clutch are as follows: MGW shorts throw, Sped 3+ clutch, 26 spline input shaft, LDC freeplay mod, Spec Aluminum flywheel, Billetflow firewall adjuster, and MM clutch quadrant. I had adjusted the cable to where there is 1/16" gap between the pressure plate teeth and TOB. The problem is, there is so much play in the clutch pedal that it takes me a while to slam through the gears because of the foot travel. Is there any cure? Thanks!

wlg101190

Established Member
^That is exactly what it is doing, which is too low for my taste when drag racing. But like I said, I think I have it adjusted right, but it is in such an awkward position to drive.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
You should be able to tighten up the clutch cable using the FW adjuster without moving the TOB closer to the PP fingers.
The LDC spring will hold the arm in place unless you over tighten the adjuster.

-

wlg101190

Established Member
Well what I am saying is like, when I take off the inspection cover for the tranny, I had it adjusted to where the TOB has 1/16" of room between the PP fingers. I read on a thread that this was proper adjustment. The only problem is, the clutch engagement is way too low for my liking. Also, I heard if you loosen the firewall adjuster up too much, it will cause clutch slippage. So, should I just keep loosening it to my liking?

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Well what I am saying is like, when I take off the inspection cover for the tranny, I had it adjusted to where the TOB has 1/16" of room between the PP fingers. I read on a thread that this was proper adjustment. The only problem is, the clutch engagement is way too low for my liking. Also, I heard if you loosen the firewall adjuster up too much, it will cause clutch slippage. So, should I just keep loosening it to my liking?

You want to tighten the cable up.
This will raise the engagement point.
You will be able to do this and still keep the TOB off the PP fingers.

wlg101190

Established Member
So are you saying that since I have the LDC freeplay mod, I can adjust it to my liking without have to worry of it touching the PP fingers?

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
So are you saying that since I have the LDC freeplay mod, I can adjust it to my liking without have to worry of it touching the PP fingers?

That is mostly correct. If you tighten it up to much the cable will be to tight and put the TOB against the fingers and possibly proload the clutch.
Put your car up on stand and pull the inspection plate off.
Turn your FW adjuster counter clock wise which will extend it out which will tighten the cable.
Do small adjustments, check the TOB and check the engagement pont.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I got th MM clutch pedal hieght adjuster to solve that problem for me. Also I was personaly told by a Ford regional rep that the mustang throwout bearing was designed to be a CONSTANT velocity unit . Meaning it should always be in contact with the PP fingers. Now I know this is a contraversial subject but I've done it this way since I bought my car with 24,000 mile's. with the same mods ( Fiore micro click firewall,MM pedal adj, Steeda Red quadrant, LDC freepaly spring only) and have no problems with throwout bearings.The factory clutch gave out at 35,000 (11,000 after the clutch mods) .The factory throwout bearing was still good. I replaced the clutch, PP and throwout with centerforce gear .All units are still going strong at 59,000 miles. Thats my experiece ,yours may vary.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I got th MM clutch pedal hieght adjuster to solve that problem for me. Also I was personaly told by a Ford regional rep that the mustang throwout bearing was designed to be a CONSTANT velocity unit . Meaning it should always be in contact with the PP fingers. Now I know this is a contraversial subject but I've done it this way since I bought my car with 24,000 mile's. with the same mods ( Fiore micro click firewall,MM pedal adj, Steeda Red quadrant, LDC freepaly spring only) and have no problems with throwout bearings.The factory clutch gave out at 35,000 (11,000 after the clutch mods) .The factory throwout bearing was still good. I replaced the clutch, PP and throwout with centerforce gear .All units are still going strong at 59,000 miles. Thats my experiece ,yours may vary.

Unfortunately your experience with the TOB is not the norm.
There have been many many TOB failures. Mine fell apart then the TOB sleeve broke. This was with the stock set up.
My buddy is an SVT Cert mechanic at Ford. He said if he had a dollar for every TOB he changed out.......

-

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
So, does anyone know what the real answer is? On the PP fingers, or 1/16-1/8" off of it?

If you do a search the majority of people do not have the PP fingers riding on the TOB.
The LDC instruction state 1/8" spacing.
It make sense that if the PP fingers are riding on the TOB it will be spinning the entire time.
If they are not the TOB will only be spinning while pressing in the clutch.
The search function will probably give you the info you need.
Bottom line is I won't do it.
It is a PIA to drop a tranny for a $30 part.

Last edited:

wlg101190

Established Member
^That is true, I guess I will not risk it. But the most I can turn the FW adjuster with out it touching the PP fingers, still leaves the clutch engagement too high for me. It is like there is 4" of straight free play in the pedal itself.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
^That is true, I guess I will not risk it. But the most I can turn the FW adjuster with out it touching the PP fingers, still leaves the clutch engagement too high for me. It is like there is 4" of straight free play in the pedal itself.

That is very strange. If you have that much free play in the pedal that means you should be able to move the adjuster away from the FW thus raising your engagement point and not putting the fingers on the TOB.
Do you have a quadrant with multiple hooks like the Steeda model?

wlg101190

Established Member
I have the Maximum Motorsports one, and I believe it looks just like the Steeda one. Could there be something wrong with it?

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I have the Maximum Motorsports one, and I believe it looks just like the Steeda one. Could there be something wrong with it?

Is it the single, double or triple hook set up?
Very unlikely there is a problem with it.

Users who are viewing this thread