Clutch pedal made a pop then stopped working? Help!

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
Driving to work this morning my clutch pedal made a pop noise when pressed and quit working. It's now just free hanging and swings back and forth. Car still starts when pedal is pressed, and brakes and everything else seem to be functioning. Any ideas? Currently waiting on a flat bed tow truck to come get me and my car.

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
Popped a hydraulic line? Or the physical connection between clutch pedal and the linkage to the hydraulic system came apart? Peak under the dash and see what exactly pedal is doing. That's where I'd start. Good luck. That sucks!

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
Thanks for the response. The way it felt I'm thinking something under the dash broke or came apart. It didn't feel like a line had ruptured. I'm on a busy highway otherwise I'd be under the dash right now. Did a search but all I'm finding are people with failed clutch issues lol. Can't seem to find anyone that's had this exact issue. Are there any type of rods or pins connected to the pedal that can break? I heard this similar noise about a week ago but no problems followed, thought I had maybe just pressed the pedal funny.

dotmpeg

Established Member
If you need a new assembly i have one from a 14 gt500. If itll fit it would be better cause of the bigger master cylinder.

colin1966

Established Member
I would look under the car (drivers side) if you see brake fluid you clutch line popped off, it can happen as its held in with a clip.

Colin

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
Thanks for the help guys. The plastic eyelet that connects to the clutch pedal literally snapped in 2 pieces. After doing some searching discovered it's actually a broad issue amongst 05-up mustangs with manual trans. I actually fabbed up a metal piece to replace the plastic one and I'm back banging gears again for about 3$ in parts from Home Depot lol.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Do you have a picture of the broken part? Is it in this picture?

2013 GT500 Clutch Pedal Assembly 3.jpg

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
The plastic piece at the top of the clutch pedal that attaches to the clutch master cylinder. Right above the red circle.

Papaw

Established Member
Good info, never heard of that problem.
I have an early production '05 GT with over 240K and never had a failure. Maybe the early production pieces were stronger.

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
I don't believe it's a major issue but it seems to happen to quite a few people. I didn't know about it until mine broke lol.
Good info, never heard of that problem.
I have an early production '05 GT with over 240K and never had a failure. Maybe the early production pieces were stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread