Clutch Pedal Loses Pressure Overnight

jmaStang

Established Member
I have nearly every MT82 bandaid out there; MGW, Blowfish Bracket, Whiteline Mount, Clutch Line Upgrade. The pedal would still lose pressure on high rpm shifts, so I removed the helper spring. I love the feel of the pedal without the spring, but it still loses pressure on high rpm shifts.

Oddly enough, it also loses pressure overnight now, or even after sitting for a few hours. I'll get in the car, and the travel is as little as 35-40%. I can lift it with my foot and it works normally, but I could also drive it around with reduced travel and near instantaneous engagement. (Note: I always lift it with my foot before driving off. I just wanted to test functionality without lifting it one time.)

Anyone have any ideas? It never sagged by itself with the spring in, and I would reinstall it, but I feel that I would just be masking a hydraulics issue or something. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Additional info: It seems to work fine. I shift at redline and never get locked out. I just want to have consistent travel and engagement, and not lift the clutch pedal with my toes after every hard run.

Last edited:

Chuckieduck

Established Member
Was the clutch "bleeding down" before you removed the helper spring? The reason I ask is because when I removed mine I can't remember exactly what I did but I bent the the piece of metal that surrounds the piston rod that attatches to the pedal and mine leaked down and I had to have a new one put in. I would suggest feeling your carpet up at the firewall and under the floormat and see if you can feel any brake fluid residue.

I still have the same problem after removing the spring that the pedal will stick to the floor when the RPMs get close to redline. Only fix is going with an aftermarket clutch I think.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I have nearly every MT82 bandaid out there; MGW, Blowfish Bracket, Whiteline Mount, Clutch Line Upgrade. The pedal would still lose pressure on high rpm shifts, so I removed the helper spring. I love the feel of the pedal without the spring, but it still loses pressure on high rpm shifts.

Oddly enough, it also loses pressure overnight now, or even after sitting for a few hours. I'll get in the car, and the travel is as little as 35-40%. I can lift it with my foot and it works normally, but I could also drive it around with reduced travel and near instantaneous engagement. (Note: I always lift it with my foot before driving off. I just wanted to test functionality without lifting it one time.)

Anyone have any ideas? It never sagged by itself with the spring in, and I would reinstall it, but I feel that I would just be masking a hydraulics issue or something. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Additional info: It seems to work fine. I shift at redline and never get locked out. I just want to have consistent travel and engagement, and not lift the clutch pedal with my toes after every hard run.

Joe, ever since we removed the helper spring, I have not had any occurrences when the pedal would stick to the floor anymore. I love the increased clutch stiffness as well. But If I leave the car sitting for a week, the clutch feels 'loose', as in for some reason, the doesn't seem to have pressure for the first 15 seconds of start up. This only happens when the car sits for about a week though. Never happened before the spring delete.

Did you ever check the carpet near the firewall for residue like Chuckieduck suggested? I think he meant clutch fluid though.

redline5.0

Established Member
Mine does the same thing, I have even vacuum bleed the **** out of it and still does it. Mine started doing it after the clutch install/ss line and will most likely end up being the slave/throw out bearing setup. I just remember to pull up on the pedal a little every morning.

jj6string

Established Member
This happened to me early on when I had my car. Took it into the dealer. It was a leaky throw out bearing. Fixed under warranty.

Check to see if you have any leaks in your setup. If you can't find any, it's the throw out bearing.

jmaStang

Established Member
This happened to me early on when I had my car. Took it into the dealer. It was a leaky throw out bearing. Fixed under warranty.

Check to see if you have any leaks in your setup. If you can't find any, it's the throw out bearing.

Did you have the helper spring out when it started happening?

jj6string

Established Member
No I still have the spring in to this day. My shifting issues went away after the MGW was installed, and the bad throw out bearing was replaced.

lsxjunkie

Established Member
My clutch pedal has drooped every morning since I took the helper spring out. I put it back in and hated the way it drove, so I just hook my toe under the pedal every time I get in now. No big deal.

ExTurbo

Established Member
Mine does the same thing, every time I get in the car or run through a couple gears I have to lift the pedal up with my foot, its to the point where I do it in any stick car I get in out of habit. started after I removed the assist spring

GA Boss

Had same problem at track...sometimes after burnout sometimes after a run...tried all the bandaids as well. put a RXT twin disk in and have never had a 1-2 lock out or the clutch pedal on the floor.

Users who are viewing this thread