Clutch pedal issure - baffled

termin8r

From STi to SVT
Established Member
Clutch pedal issue - baffled

I just got my car back from having a Stage 3+ installed and love it thus far. But I'm having an issue with my clutch pedal/cable. Before I got it installed I'd notice it getting sloppy every great once in a while and tightened it up.

When I got it the shop said the pedal should have about an inch of play at the top and may tighten up so I'd need to back my Fiore Firewall adjuster in to give it more play. My problem is that instead of tightening up, it is getting sloppier and got about 2-3 inches of play at the top after a few days. So I screwed my adjuster back out to where the slop should be within one inch. Then after driving around for a little while, it got sloppier again with 2-3 inches of play. Now after doing this for 2 days, my adjuster is out as far as it goes, since its being stopped buy the cylinder head, and the pedal has once again gotten 2-3 inches of slop and will probably get more. Another thing is that the engagement point is also inconsistent as I drive it. Sometimes it seems as if its right off the floor, then other times halfway from the floor to the top of the throw.

What is causing these issues? Is it the cable stretching, the clutchbedding in? A loose bolt somewhere? I'm afraid the cable will get to a point that it'll be useless pushing the clutch and I'm going to get stuck somewhere.

Last edited:

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
before doing anything else, get the LDC free play correction kit $16.95 here. see if this works, if it does, or doesn't it is still a cheap investment you'll want either way.

hope it helps though.
keep us posted,
jake.

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
S.V.T. said:
before doing anything else, get the LDC free play correction kit $16.95 here. see if this works, if it does, or doesn't it is still a cheap investment you'll want either way.

hope it helps though.
keep us posted,
jake.

+1 Thats exactly what I was gonna suggest when I was reading this before I saw this response. I just got the Fiore on my stock clutch and my clutch pedal has a lil bit of play at the very top of it. I've got the LDC on order right now and should take care of that problem. About your clutch being inconsistent on where its engaging... I'm not sure about that :shrug:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Before installing the LDC Free Play spring, I used to adjust so my pedal had about 1/2" of free play (use your HAND to determine that, not your foot).

You should get it adjusted then use a sharpie to mark both parts of the firewall adjuster to see if it is moving. Scribe a line, then if the lines move with respect to each other, then the adjuster is not locking down properly.

But if your adjustment is off that much, I would question a few things about the clutch install. Was the pivot replaced? How about the clutch fork? It's possible that there was some slop between those 2 at the point they contact.

One other thought is the bearing retainer tube, was it replaced?

termin8r

From STi to SVT
Established Member
I'm ordering the LDC kit as we speak.

As for the install, I did get the McLeod TOB retainer sleeve put in.

The clutch pedal seems to be exhibiting similar issues as it did before the new install with the increasing slop and rattling clutch pedal. But this seems to be changing must faster than it ever did with the OEM setup. In under 2 weeks I've had to adjust the firewall adjuster out all the way with no more room to spare.

Users who are viewing this thread