clutch pedal/cable squeaking

lastexit99

Established Member
This just started Wednesday and I when I let the clutch pedal out there is a squeak as it comes out. For a little bit of history, Last year my clutch pedal got "stiff" or hard to depress. After pulling the dust cover off where the clutch cable goes into the transmission, we sprayed some graphite lubricant on the connection where the cable mounts. It instantly "freed" the cable up.

Fast forward to this past weekend, and after the stiff clutch pedal symptons returned I was going to replace the cable. however after removing the original one and realizing that the firewall grommet wasn't included with the new cable and the stock one couldn't be removed from the stock cable, I reinstalled the stock cable and lubricated it again. The motion of the pedal is much smoother but now I have the squeak or moan as I let the clutch pedal out.

Any thoughts? (other than I'm a dumbass...haha)

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
the problem with the cables in these cars is that the heat affects the sheath it rides in and over time, it collapses around the cable and makes it stiffer and stiffer. sometimes to the point that it snaps. the moan may just be the cable trying to move inside the sheath. the aftermarket ones seem to do it more quickly and not last as long as the oem cables. I have found that out the hard way.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Mine did that once last year and was so bad that when I pushed the pedal all the way down and barely moved the shifter to first, the car would start rolling. The cable was so gunked up in the sheath that it couldn't move back and forth in it and it wasn't pulling the clutch fork as much as it should. I dunno how it didn't snap but I replaced mine with a ford racing one

Last edited:

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
i think mine is doing the same thing within the last two days.....the whol throw of the pedal is off and it doesnt go into gear well.could this all be JUST from the cable?

Users who are viewing this thread