Clutch or Tranny issue?

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
a little long... sorry...
OK so I have been having a squealing noise for a while and after my car would heat up, it would not go into gear. Adjusting the FWA out really far took the squeal away and it made shifting great. After doing that though, the clutch started to grab closer to the ground which lead me to believe my cable was stretching....

Last night I decided to put in my new cable w/ the help of a buddy who has a shop w/ a lift. Before we did anything he wanted to look at it first. Good thing too. We removed the cover and then I got back in the car to run it while up on the lift.

With the car in neutral, the clutch appears to wobble. It isn't horrible, but it does wobble and if you touch the bottom of the clutch fork you can feel the vibration. When I push the clutch pedal in literally 1/8" the wobble stops. I have a Centerforce DF clutch that was installed a year ago by FORD when they did the TSB on my trans. We also noticed that the clutch fork was rubbing on the inside of the cover. There were 4 distinct gouges/scraps going lengthwise w/ the cover and the corner of the fork was all chunked up.

Could this be a clutch out of adjustment or a bent input shaft? I got a warranty on the car which will cover the trans. If it is the clutch then that is on me. I can pull the trans myself but want to avoid that unless it is the clutch. Thoughts....

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
IIRC, the clutch fork shoud be quite a ways away from the cover. How did your pivot ball look when the new clutch was installed? I recommend trying to push in on the clutch fork (farther into the tranny) to make sure it's in the proper location. And don't try to use the clutch pedal to put extra pressure on it to make sure it's seated properly(experience talking -- I broke my throw out bearing that way). If it's in the right place, it shouldn't rub on anything.

Users who are viewing this thread