Clutch Issues

CobraBallz97

Established Member
This ongoing clutch issue is driving me up a wall. Being that I do not have the necessary tools to do a clutch job in my driveway, I had AAMCO do it because a friend of a friend got me a decent price on the install.
Anyway, something is not right with the car. I can barely take off in 1st gear without the whole car and drivetrain shaking horribly. I can't ease the clutch out and ease into the gas. In order to get going I have to basically pop the clutch out. Same thing happens in reverse. Once I get going it shifts smooth. Also, the clutch pedal is hard as a rock. I'm taking it back in first thing Monday morning. I recently changed the cable and put a Steeda quadrant in. Any ideas what can be causing this? Thanks

svtcobralover

Established Member
sounds like maybe one of the flywheel bolts isnt bolt on to tight? I would take it back to the people that did the work and make them fix it.

Rel

Established Member
it could be you need to the self adjusting thingy to the clutch pedal....

instead of pressing it down lift it up with your foot and then press it down acouple of times.

do it about 2 times... ask me how I know lol

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
My friends spec 1 chattered horribly in his foxbody. I would take it back to AAMCO asap though.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I never had the stage 1 but the rest (2 and above) chatter and and require some break in before they smooth out.

How many miles have you put on it so far?

98diablo

Established Member
the chatter is normal on the spec clutches. it take about 500 or so miles for it to breakin and go away. doin some hard launches will help break it in quiker. spec is a really good clutch. going in to 1st and reverse almost seems like you need to learn how to drive a stick all over again with that brand spankin new clutch!!! i had the same deal on all specs ive put in my cars!!!!

CobraBallz97

Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
I've only put about 30 miles on it since the install. I'm going back to AAMCO first thing Monday morning. I called them as soon as I got it home the day it was put in to let them know something didn't feel right. I didn't experience any chatter whatsoever after I installed my King Cobra on my old Cobra. I described it exactly the same, like having to learn how to drive stick all over again. Hopefully this all works out soon. Still not sure about the hard clutch pedal itself though.

Last edited:

Rel

Established Member
hard clutch pedal try my previous post if u havent already.

my spec stage 1 did clatter but not enough to worry about it...
slowly went away after prolly 60 miles

CobraBallz97

Established Member
hard clutch pedal try my previous post if u havent already.

my spec stage 1 did clatter but not enough to worry about it...
slowly went away after prolly 60 miles

I don't have a firewall adjuster or a self adjusting cable. What you mentioned may not work with mine.

KazooGS-T

Established Member
I don't have a firewall adjuster or a self adjusting cable. What you mentioned may not work with mine.

That's how you re-adjust the factory adjuster.

Otherwise you would twist it, inside the engine bay, on the firewall... If you had an aftermarket setup.

CobraBallz97

Established Member
That's how you re-adjust the factory adjuster.

Otherwise you would twist it, inside the engine bay, on the firewall... If you had an aftermarket setup.

so you're saying that pulling the clutch pedal up with my foot a couple times will adjust the pedal pressure? :shrug:

Rel

Established Member
I know it sounds crazy but thats what I remembered to do right after I had my clutch installed. The mechanic didnt do it. I thought he broke my car lol...

Pull it up and then press down ALL THE WAY.

97cobra1

Established Member
So you went with teh spec stage 1 clutch? I have it installed in my car and it chattered terrible bad for teh first 1000 miles, and didn't smooth out til about 4k miles on the clutch. But now it grips like a fat kid on the alst twinkie in Walmart.

What quadrant did you end up getting? Did they install the cable/quadrant setup with the clutch? I had the quick release quadrant, and i broke 3 cables in about 8 months becuase the quadrant was casuing teh cable to bind due to the curve of the quadrant.

Replaced the steeda and UPR adjustable cable to a MM modified stock cable and MM quadrant, but kept the Steeda firewall adjuster. (nicer peice imo.)

When i changed the cable and quadrant it fixed my rock hard clutch pedal. The shoip i took it to said the people that did teh first cable setup FUBARed the isntall though.

Maybe get a second opinion on the cable? The MM setup for cable quad and FW adjsuter is like 130 bucks. Can't go wrong with it.

Rel

Established Member
1000 Miles? wow i must be special mine stopped way sooner.

stock oem ford cable is best

CobraBallz97

Established Member
So you went with teh spec stage 1 clutch? I have it installed in my car and it chattered terrible bad for teh first 1000 miles, and didn't smooth out til about 4k miles on the clutch. But now it grips like a fat kid on the alst twinkie in Walmart.

What quadrant did you end up getting? Did they install the cable/quadrant setup with the clutch? I had the quick release quadrant, and i broke 3 cables in about 8 months becuase the quadrant was casuing teh cable to bind due to the curve of the quadrant.

Replaced the steeda and UPR adjustable cable to a MM modified stock cable and MM quadrant, but kept the Steeda firewall adjuster. (nicer peice imo.)

When i changed the cable and quadrant it fixed my rock hard clutch pedal. The shoip i took it to said the people that did teh first cable setup FUBARed the isntall though.

Maybe get a second opinion on the cable? The MM setup for cable quad and FW adjsuter is like 130 bucks. Can't go wrong with it.

Thanks for all that info man. I appreciate it. I got the Steeda quadrant and I put a generic cable in (don't recall the brand) but it was only $38. Every time I push my clutch in, I feel like I'm going to snap another cable and be stranded on the side of the road again. I wonder if theres a way to hone out the curve in the Steeda quadrant. I'm going to look into the MM quadrant. Where did you get yours? I have roughly 60 miles on the clutch now and it feels a lot better.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
get the FORE precision adjuster and quadrant if you are going to buy a new one. you can actually order the Lethal Performance one, they are the same thing. And order a FORD clutch cable, the cheap knock-off ones from auto parts stores suck and it's almost a guarantee it is going to snap on you sooner than later.

My roommate has a Spec stage 1 in his car, never cared for it myself. I definitely would go with a different clutch setup myself. Why did you switch over from the King Cobra to Spec?

CobraBallz97

Established Member
get the FORE precision adjuster and quadrant if you are going to buy a new one. you can actually order the Lethal Performance one, they are the same thing. And order a FORD clutch cable, the cheap knock-off ones from auto parts stores suck and it's almost a guarantee it is going to snap on you sooner than later.

My roommate has a Spec stage 1 in his car, never cared for it myself. I definitely would go with a different clutch setup myself. Why did you switch over from the King Cobra to Spec?

I bought the cable from the auto parts store because it was $38 compared to $98. I think I'm just going to replace the Steeda quadrant and see if that does the trick. I was under the impression that the Spec was a better all around clutch. As for the quadrant, I'll look into the MM and the FORE.

Users who are viewing this thread