Clutch Issue

MrCobra

Established Member
Hey everyone how ya'll doin? I have a question for you guys out there. It's been a while since I've posted, I'm still a newbie but I got caught up with life. Anyways I have a 99 Cobra and had the clutch replaced in February. I had slipping issues which went away. As soon as I got my clutch replaced the repairman told me that my pedal has slop in it because I had him install an aftermarket clutch quadrant plus adjustable cable. He changed the tob and pilot bearing also. After about a few weeks I heard this screeching sound from underneath the car. Because of the slop from the pedal is making it touch the tob/flywheel just a bit. At least to my knowledge that's what's going on.
The repairman said that he tried to adjust it as much as he could without loosening the whole damn thing, but he said there isn't much more room to mess with it. The car only makes that screeching noise when it's in neutral chillin' in my garage. Mostly if it's a perfectly level ground. When the clutch is pushed in the noise stops. I looked around online and from what I found so far I need to get a clutch height adjuster to make the pedal firm again, and apparently there's a device called a clutch freeplay kit that is a spring that you place around the cable where it begins under the car. Does any of this sound familiar to you guys? I really want it to be fixed because it's embarrassing if someone hears it. This baby only has 33,000 miles and it's awesome. Let me know if you have any advice or suggestions guys. I appreciate it. Thanks

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Your throwout bearing is toast. Probably didn't use a FRPP piece and now it squeals. The "slop" in the pedal should have been adjusted out with the firewall adjuster, not sure why he couldn't. A clutch pedal height adjuster will do nothing but change the height of the pedal. The LDC free play mod is a questionable piece. More is Gotta learn to work on your own car if you're going to modify it man, otherwise you're at the mercy of some tech. No one cares about or knows your car better than you.

MrCobra

Established Member
Thanks snake. I had a feeling that could be. I don't have a firewall adjuster on my Cobra. Is it hard to change the TOB yourself? And if so do you think I should convert it to a hydraulic clutch? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread