Clutch issue, not making much sense?

10sec89

Established Member
Ok guys. I have replaced the clutch about 3-4k ago with a redone flywheel from McLeod, new throw out bearing and 520hp Promotion clutch. About 2k ago the TB bearing started squeeling so it was replaced with a FRPP. I also did a full rebuild of the T-56. All has been great for a little while. I went to the drags last weekend and made 6 runs on drag radials. I had to do a slight slip and feed in the gas to try and keep it hooked. Let's me say the clutch smelled horrible, but held well. After a little street drive of 15 or so miles the next day I noticed the clutch engaging differently. I checked my firewall adjuster and couldn't pull any slack from the cable! Adjuster is normally in the middle range. I adjusted it for about 1/8- 3/16 of gap when pulled. I drove the car 50 miles last night and checked it when I came back and sure enough it's tight again. The adjuster is turned almost all the way in now! I pulled the inspection cover, and the fork hasn't moved(it was replaced at last TB job). I hold A.S.E. cert's in manual transmission and drive train and I can't figure out what the hell is happening here. Am I correct in thinking the pressure plate is at fault?

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Hmmm, sounds like something happened after the track runs. Promotion says that clutch smell is normal BUT whats considered normal. I don't think it should smell after a few runs like you did and the clutch should be able to take the "slippage".

It could be something with the clutch assy or pressure plate. When it gets tight, does the TOB spin on the pressure plate fingers? Meaning, when you adjust for slack and prevent the bearing from coming in contact with the pressure plate, does the bearing then ride on the pressure plate when the cable gets tight? Do you have the LDC free-play mod?

10sec89

Established Member
Hmmm, sounds like something happened after the track runs. Promotion says that clutch smell is normal BUT whats considered normal. I don't think it should smell after a few runs like you did and the clutch should be able to take the "slippage".

It could be something with the clutch assy or pressure plate. When it gets tight, does the TOB spin on the pressure plate fingers? Meaning, when you adjust for slack and prevent the bearing from coming in contact with the pressure plate, does the bearing then ride on the pressure plate when the cable gets tight? Do you have the LDC free-play mod?

When I last adjusted it if I leave 1/8 - 3/16th's between cable face and fire wall adjuster when pulling back on the cable it puts the TB just touching the pressure plate fingers. After driving I can't pull the cable from the adjuster without screwing it in(towards inside of car). Without jacking it up and getting back under it I can only assume it's pushing on the fingers now.
I don't have a freeplay mod. Never had the need for it or an issue with a dead spot at the top of the pedal.

Users who are viewing this thread