Clutch is slipping after installing new clutch cable.

jongrant

Established Member
After going through 2 clutch cables from steeda and using their firewall adjuster. I decided I would go ahead and get the MM package. Clutch worked fine and wouldnt slip during the short time the previous cables held together. After installing the new cable, adjustor and quadrant..It ran well no slips for the first 2 days..Now it engages almost at the very top..where before it would in the middle? I've tried turning the adjuster both ways ..there is a slight gap between the cable and adjuster..its still pretty difficult to turn. All it takes now is a slight punch in 3rd gear and it slips pretty bad. :fm:Sorry I'm a newb and just got an 03 cobra just recently.:shrug:

Last edited:

CobraRyan

Banned
put a STOCK clutch cable in...those work the best and give no problems. The cable might not be your problem but im just saying that aftermarket clutch cables dont do anything better than the stocker.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Either way you go, staying with the MM cable or changing to an OEM cable, it's not adjusted correctly. You should begin by adjusting it so there is 1/4" to 1/2" of free play at the top of yoour pedal (check this with your hand, not foot, on the pedal). Then make fine adjustments from there. I like my pedal to start grabbing 1/3 of the way up from the floor, but that's just me.

Good luck.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Aftermarket clutch cables have not shown any improvement over the stock one, does the MM kit come with a stock cable? The quadrant should NOT be difficuly to turn.

You reset the firewall adjuster after you installed the clutch right?

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I've been told there should be 4-6 pounds of preload on the fork. I actually bought a spring scale to set mine but I haven't done it yet. So pull that fork to where you think 5 pounds would be and then set the nut and you should be done.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
put a STOCK clutch cable in...those work the best and give no problems. The cable might not be your problem but im just saying that aftermarket clutch cables dont do anything better than the stocker.

Agreed. I just installed a new stock cable after having a UPR clutch cable. I was not impressed at all. The UPR firewall adjuster remains, but go back to the stock cable. Call steve or rick, screen name fordsvtparts.

Users who are viewing this thread