Clutch install update.... PROBLEM... Help please

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
So the clutch (SPEC stage 1) chatters really bad. It chatters in reverse and through 3rd gear. The guys that installed it have installed SPEC clutches before and said they've never had one chatter that bad. But admittedly, not that I know it would matter, they haven't installed one in a new edge. The car had a centerforce in it and the pedal was real tight, now the pedal is much looser. I bought the steeda quadrant kit, but they didn’t have time to install it yet. The company that resurfaced the clutch came highly recommended by both local performance shops and the installer. So I’m at a loss of what it could be.

Personally, I think the clutch pedal is too loose. It's almost like the clutch is not making full contact with flywheel quick enough so it chatters a bit before I let the clutch completely out….

Any ideas?

2001asp

Established Member
Relax, For the first 100 miles that pedal is going to be jumping around. The pedal/and clutch are chattery. Wait till you put that new quadrant on, depending on how much you load up the throw-out bearing. Keep that throw-out bearing loose, you don't want to pre-load it too much. In nutrual, you want to here that throw out bearing bouncing off the pressure plate, after 100 miles give the adjuster a few clicks to load up the throw out bearing Don't go crazy//loose is better. Too tight,,and you could prematurly kill that throwout bearing by baking all the grease in it. Its a new clutch. Its like new brakes you have to bed them(smooth them out). There are high and low spots on any new clutch. Take it real easy on the first 100 miles. After 2 full gas fill ups she will be broken in. You want your car to go through a bunch of warm ups and cool downs. I just got done with my break in and my clutch pedal was rattling somthing crazy, it smoothed out....you got this.....
--Alex

Last edited:

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
It took a good 500+ miles to break in the Spec stage 1 I had in my 02 GT, and it was still a PITA to slip in traffic. From what I understand Spec's "light weight" option has much better traffic/daily driver manners.

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
Relax, For the first 100 miles that pedal is going to be jumping around. The pedal/and clutch are chattery. Wait till you put that new quadrant on, depending on how much you load up the throw-out bearing. Keep that throw-out bearing loose, you don't want to pre-load it too much. In nutrual, you want to here that throw out bearing bouncing off the pressure plate, after 100 miles give the adjuster a few clicks to load up the throw out bearing Don't go crazy//loose is better. Too tight,,and you could prematurly kill that throwout bearing by baking all the grease in it. Its a new clutch. Its like new brakes you have to bed them(smooth them out). There are high and low spots on any new clutch. Take it real easy on the first 100 miles. After 2 full gas fill ups she will be broken in. You want your car to go through a bunch of warm ups and cool downs. I just got done with my break in and my clutch pedal was rattling somthing crazy, it smoothed out....you got this.....
--Alex

Well I called SPEC and they said that the 03/04 cobra flywheel is not meant to be turned. It has a steel insert but it's riveted in. So i'm not sure what to think. How bad did yours chatter? I mean this isn't some minor rattle, it sounds pretty bad. If you say yours did too, then i'll relax....

Users who are viewing this thread