clutch install on 99 cobra

LU'S 99COBRA

Established Member
Hi guys so i finally across having to upgrade my clutch. i already disconnected the battery, lifted the car on jack stands, removed the mid H pipe, removed the drive shaft, now i came across trying to remove the transmission. i loosened all the bolts but the two top bolt on the transmission near the o2 sensor cables. is there any easy way of removing the two top bolts? i cant seem to get them off with the extensions i have along with the U-joint. any ideas would be very helpful thank you in advance

procharged 99

Established Member
You have to unbolt the starter also and for the top two bitch bolts I would loosen or take off the two motor mount nuts and let some of the weight of the trans tilt the motor back so you can get to the bolts easier and I use lots of extensions to work form the rear of the trans to get them.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
1/2" socket>elbow>2 feet of extension>3/8 to 1/2 drive reducer>1/2 drive rachet is what I use.

Unbolt the motor mount nuts and tilt the motor towards the rear of the car. This will give you more room to get a straighter shot with the rachet.

Once you crack them loose, make sure you have a tranny jack or a regular jack centered under the tranny. Then remove the top 2 bolts. Most likely the tranny will still be resting on the dowel pins. Give it a shake back and forth and walk it off of them.

I didn't read it in your post but go ahead if you haven't and remove the tranny cross member.

-Mark

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
+1 on tipping the motor/tranny back a little. When I first tried removing the top two bolts I was using an old extension that acted like a torsion bar -- it kept winding up. I purchased a beefy, long extension. I also broke a couple of u-joints and a wobble adapter and had to get an impact swivel that is like a CV joint. When the bolts finally did break loose it sounded like I broke the swivel too.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
I just did this job during this past winter. You have to remove the tranny cross mount and let the engine/tranny hang. I also had to put a jack (using a piece of wood, of course, on the front crankshaft damper to get more "tilt." It's a real PITA - I had to use about 3 12" half inch extensions with a universal joint taped up (for stiffness) to get to them. They are a PAIN to get to. I also used a 24" breaker bar as those bad boys are ON there. I think they are torqued to 70 pounds. Good luck. Yes, you do have to take the starter off (that's another PITA, especially that top bolt. I ended up using a 6" extension and putting on there by feel. Before you drop the tranny, drain the fluid and take the shifter off. It will not clear with the shifter. There is also a tang on the driver's side of the tranny that has a hold in it and must be used for some other application. But it really gets in the way putting it back in; I just hacksawed it off as it has no use in our applications. Of course, my tranny is a 3650 and you probably have a t-45 so you may not have that tang.

LU'S 99COBRA

Established Member
Thanks much guys I still trying it out cause those are the only 2 bolts left to drop the trans I just loosened the the motor mounts but think I'm going to remove them all the way to have more room to work with

leegro1015

Established Member
Don't you have a T-45? i thought you can unbolt the transmission and then remove the bell housing after. There should be plenty of room. I know with the t-3650 it's all "one piece".

Last edited:

jacker1991

Established Member
Don't you have a T-45? i thought you can unbolt the transmission and then remove the bell housing after. There should be plenty of room. I know with the t-3650 it's all "one piece".

T-45 is a one piece.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread