Clutch install and quadrent reset question?

GNGREN

Established Member
Ok I had a clutch installed in my 97. After less than 100 miles of easy driving no burnouts speeding or any hard running, the clutch came apart. I've gotten a new one installed and talked with the shop today. They said that it feels good in first and second gear, but after that it seems like it needs adjustment or somthing. I don't think that they have the cable reset properly. I mentioned when they towed me to there shop after the first disk came apart that I tried to pull up on the pedal to adjust the clutch thinking it may need to be adjusted and the owner looked at me like he had no idea what I was talking about.

I think I know the answer to this question but I figure I will ask anyway because I am no auto mechanic....... When you replace the clutch you have to reset the quadrent at the pedal don't you? Or does it reset itself when you take the cable off at the fork? I have never had the privalage of doing a clutch install, always paid sombody to do it for me(no room in my garage.)

GNGREN

Established Member
I don't want to worry about having to get my hands dirty. lol I really just want to reuse the stock setup. I just want to know do I need to reset the qudrant manualy or will it release itself to the new possition needed by pulling up on the pedal? I assume that I will need to pull up on the pedal and then hold the paw up so that the quadrant can be reset to the lowest possition then adjust the length at the fork (is this correct for the stock set up?) I mean this is if the shop didn't do it. I think I should have just paid ford to do it by the time I am done I will probebly be close to what they were orriginally going to charge me.

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Yes, that is how you do it. Just use the little pin-looking piece on the fork and turn it. You're all over it. I'm sure you doing it was MUCH cheaper than a shop.

juiced96snake

BOSS 2511
Established Member
When I still had my stock quad all I had to do was pull up on the pedal (you will hear it reset) then press the pedal in and out a couple of times till it felt right. It's supposed to be "self" adjusting.....the stock quad is a POS and could end up causing you to buy a new clutch sooner than you want to....just a thought

GNGREN

Established Member
:beer: well alll is good everything is taken care of. I am still using the stock stuff. I just grabbed the paw while pulling up on the pedal and reset the quad. Car runs great and pulls very strong. My only complaint is that the clutch engages kinda high now, but I am sure I will get use to it. Or when I sell it if the new owner doesn't like it they can spend a few bucks and do what they want. I have just dumpped ALOT of money into her I know that I probebly will have to eat as soon as I find a buyer. But I don't want it said that I sold a lemon or a car with a bunch of problems most people say I am crazy for speanding money on her when I am selling her anyway but oh well. Thanks for all of the advise.

Users who are viewing this thread