~ Clutch Help, Am I Forgetting Anything!? ~

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Guys, I'm going to be buying a clutch set up and all supporting hardware and have it installed over Christmas break.

Am I forgetting anything that I need? Or is there something y'all recommend or don't recommend?

Here is what I plan on ordering (thanks Joe for the list), let me know if I'm forgetting anything:

- Spec 3+ and the shims
- Liberty 26 spline Input Shaft
- Ford Racing TOB
- Lethal Performance or Mcleod Throwout Bearing Sleve
- Ford Racing Pilot bearing
- Spec Steel flywheel as I hear it chatters less over AL
- 4 quarts of Synchromesh (Pennzoil)
- Clutch Bolt Kit

- Triple hook, and microclick from Fiore

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. :beer:

Chris

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
looks like you have everything you need

since you are having it done (and you are comfortable that they know what they are doing with the trans) you could upgrade to billet shift keys and brass fork pads at this time since the trans is coming apart for the input shaft

best of luck with it!

Jroc

Established Member
Not really necessary, but you may consider a LDC Free Play mod.

Jefe

Established Member
Ford wanted $900 just for my TOB/sleeve. 9 hours r/r

Digital

Established Member
Ford wanted $900 just for my TOB/sleeve. 9 hours r/r

Ya I bet they ****in said 9 hours, rofl.
A good mechanic can have the tranny in and out in 3 hours tops.
MAYBE takes an hour to the tob and sleeve.
Wtf are they doing for the other 5 hours? smoking and coffee?

It cost around 400$ to have a tranny dropped and reinstalled.
If they charge more then that take a walk.

Jefe

Established Member
Its an SVT dealer too....My cousin and I will be tackling my TOB Saturday. Im betting were done in less than 6

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I agree with JROC, I forgot, the LDC Free Mod would be great too, especially with an aftermarket quadrant and microclick from Fiore...
BTW, can someone expand on the clutch chattering less with Steel?
and, upgrading to billet shift keys and brass fork pads? As I'm with Chris, and don't want to do this twice...

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Already have it. Good lookin though.

What is the going rate to get all of that stuff listed installed?

I had my clutch done and rear end rebuilt for $600 by a member on here. Not a single issue.

The free play mod is not necessary, you will have some slack in the pedal with aftermarket clutch. You will get used to it. I have the Spec 3+ and Spec steele flywheel. My car stopped chattering badly after about 400-500 miles. With the stock clutch I could be in reverse and let the clutch engage with no gas and the car would move. With the Spec 3+ was first installed that wasn't happening. That bitch chattered my teeth out right in the garage. It will break in though...500 miles is good.

It will still chatter if I don't give it enough gas from a dead stop.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I agree with JROC, I forgot, the LDC Free Mod would be great too, especially with an aftermarket quadrant and microclick from Fiore...
BTW, can someone expand on the clutch chattering less with Steel?
and, upgrading to billet shift keys and brass fork pads? As I'm with Chris, and don't want to do this twice...

nope you dont

when i did it my philosophy was i might as well get it all done and over with while it was all apart

(of course it can get kinda spendy tho)

i did alot of research at the time and what i gathered that these t-56's are very, very good as delivered to ford. they already have the steel 3/4 fork unlike the gm cars. the only weak areas are the input shaft and retainer, and the shift keys and fork pads. the keys have a tendency to break because they are stamped steel. and the fork pads are plastic and break. you upgrade to a stronger (viper?) output shaft too.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i did notice that the freeplay mod helped out big time with noises from the pedal.

i already had an aftermarket quadrant/adjuster setup, but the pedal would vibrate/make noise. after i put on that ldc freeplay mod it was silent

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Well my buddy at the Dealership ship said him and his boy will install everything I have listed for $400.

Is that a pretty good deal? I think they are cutting me a decent deal considering they know their shit. Let me know guys as I trust y'all.

Last edited:

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Well my buddy at the Dealership ship said him and his boy will install everything I have listed for $400.

Is that a pretty good deal? I think they are cutting me a decent deal considering they know their shit. Let me know guys as I trust y'all.

Do you know of any cars he has built? If I were you I'd stay there and watch him.

SVT GI

Established Member

If they know what they are doing that is a good deal. I did everything you have (different clutch) by myself, on jack stands, on my back and no way in hell would I do it again for $400 with out a lift and help.

Also make sure you get the new bearing and race with the input shaft, some places don't tell you this when ordering and usually sold seperately from the shaft. There is also a smaller bearing and race (cant remember what its called)you can replace at the same time that is under the tranny cover as well.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
They haven't built any cars from what I know they just work at the dealership at his buddy is the transmission guy so he definitely knows what he is doing.

SVT GI - Where can I get the new bearing and race? I'll be ordering it from Lethal probably. Does it come with the shaft?

SVT GI

Established Member
SVT GI - Where can I get the new bearing and race? I'll be ordering it from Lethal probably. Does it come with the shaft?

Most of the time the price of the input shaft does not include the shaft bearing/race. As far as the other smaller bearing/race, call AMP performance and ask to talk to the tranny guy. He's the one that told me to get this other bearing that sits inside as well. Might as well while you are in there anyway.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Thanks for the info man.

Does anyone know if Lethal will be having a Christmas sale soon? I'd like to wait for a little discount of some sort.

Users who are viewing this thread