Clutch going out?

ultrajetboat

Established Member
I've never had a clutch go out on me before, somebody please explain how it feels. When releasing the clutch in first I feel a wobbling sensation like the clutch is grabbing and releasing. There is no sound difference, engine tone doesn't change. Once engaged it is fine, I can still dump the clutch and roast the tires. It's only releasing the clutch in 1st and sometimes second it feels like it's slipping a couple times before it grabs. I can't think of anything else it could be? Maybe my differential or limited slip failed and one tire is slipping a little. It's most noticeable when I'm babying the clutch out for a smooth transmission when I have passengers. It's driving me bonkers! 2012 gt with 19,000 miles

darreng505

Established Member
I have this experience. Funny thing is I have a relatively new mcleod high torque twin disc clutch. And yes it feels like slippage if you ease the clutch pedal up in first. But it shouldn't be. Not sure why this happens.

kcbrown

Established Member
If a clutch isn't worn perfectly evenly, it'll behave that way. The engagement will feel uneven and result in vibration transmitted to the chassis until the clutch is either fully engaged (no relative movement between the pressure plate and the flywheel) or fully disengaged.

The same thing is true if one of the discs (either the pressure plate or the flywheel) is warped, which can happen if enough heat (especially unevenly distributed heat) is generated due to friction between them. I can see how dumping the clutch would generate heat in exactly that way. If clutch engagement behaves this way when the clutch is new, then it may indicate problems with the flywheel (i.e., warped flywheel or, I suppose, unevenly torqued bolts) or a defect in the pressure plate.

I've not known a clutch to remain perfectly smooth over its entire lifetime, but it may be that I'm just unlucky that way. But my experience is also relatively limited.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
A clutch that can with stand over 875 ft lbs of torque like mine requires a higher rpm of engagement, they are grabby if you start out at to low an rpm! Try releasing at 1000 to 1100 rpm it wont hurt the clutch at all! You will find it engages better no grabbyness! If your clutch is stock and doing this then I'd say your clutch is wearing out!

ultrajetboat

Established Member
What you guys are describing is exactly what I'm getting, it happened after a long freeway drive and a few high speed freeway on ramps.

Users who are viewing this thread