Clutch Failure...

Chris.94GT

Established Member
...or why I will no longer recommend RAM clutches. Clutch in question is less than a year old with maybe 5-10k on it. Didn't even run for part of that time due to blowing up an engine so maybe 6 months of drive time on it. Clutch is rated at 450hp and is a "street/strip" unit. Car never saw the track, was never launched and has maybe 270 at the tire? Spirited driving on occasion but car is a daily driver not a racecar.

4" section of friction material torn off pulled past rivets. Not sure yet if pressure plate side or flywheel side.

82C18263-E58F-4876-90B2-2D4887F14C39-1301-00000051284BC41C.jpg

Oh by the way, only 30 day warranty.

SVTPete83

Established Member
I had one ram clutch years ago on a stock 99 cobra. It was the biggest piece of shit clutch ever. I'll never buy one again

goats

Fast whitey
Established Member
I'm rocking one now with 429hp and has seen the track with DR without any issues for couple years

greenscobie86

Established Member
I had issues with a Ram HD/X unit. Pressure plate went south and made the pedal hard as a rock. Have a stock Sachs clutch in my car now with over 25k miles and 0 issues while on DD duty.

SVT Rob

Established Member
I guess everyone has problems with their product, at some point or another. I've used all of those clutches without issue (aside from the Sachs). I'll be going with a Centerforce D/F in my Capri and probably a stock Ford unit in the Cobra.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Was it a ram HDX? I had one of those that did the same thing. I will either buy spec or centerforce.

kikz97cobra

Established Member
yea i had the exact same clutch on mine..and i had a smiliar pic!! i only had my for 6mths also..weird huh? we probably got a bad batch.. of clutches..i will never buy a ram anymore.. ive had my mcleod and its held up good but havent ragged on it too much

Chris.94GT

Established Member
Yes it was an HDX. I guess I forgot to mention that although I thought it was included. I loved it up until this. Good pedal feel and grip. Not sure what I will replace with.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Yes the pedal feel was light like stock and it drove great but they are deff not meant for sports cars. Granted I had a blower on my car making 400 at the wheels and I was at the track but this is what happened. One pass at the track. Broken in properly and no hard driving until the track. Didnt even make it a complete pass.

CIMG0266.jpg

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
i've had my HDX in since last january with 20,000 or so miles on it and occasional trips to the track without any major problems. The only problem ive ever had out of it is the pressure plate bolts backing out because the dealership didnt loctite any of them. Though my friend had a Ram clutch in his 1994 GT and pressing the pedal is like trying to push a brick wall with your foot lol.

mrxr250rider

Established Member
no! u guys are scaring me. just put a ram hdx in. mine feels great. pedals light too!

lots of good reviews on american muscle. hope it holds up!

Chris.94GT

Established Member
One thing I am noticing while looking for new clutches is the RAM HDX clutch only has one row of rivets around the disk on either side. Most of other clutches I am looking at have two rows of rivets holding the friction lining on. I will be buying a disk or clutch kit with two rows holding the lining on. Seems like it will have much less chance of pulling off if there are two rows separating the load.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Same thing was happening on Clutchmaster Stage 1 clutches for my old SHO. Sucks lol, although maybe we didn't break them in exactly as specified.

SVTPete83

Established Member
Usually drive in city traffic stop
And go type stuff as much as possible. No hard shifts or launches. Do this for 1000 miles and you're gtg. Did I do this with my last new clutch? Hell no. I don't have that kind of patience! That being said my rxt is awesome. Light pedal and no chatter. We are almost 2k miles into it

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I believe proper break-in is around town driving, easy take off, easy shifting, no redlining or launching. All that for 500 miles.

Chris.94GT

Established Member
Here is the rest of the disk. The failure occurred on the flywheel side of the clutch plate. Flywheel and pressure plate look ok so I think I am going to replace the disk and run with it. Might put a 3650 in it too since dang near everything else is new/being replaced and I have no clue if the t45 has ever been replaced or rebuilt and the synchros do grind.

AB0A1374-CA1B-42E0-BB71-9015444808E8-3163-00000150414157CD.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread