clutch engaging too high

rlopezspc

addicted
Established Member
well i finally got that tranny in for the 96, and i stabbed it in and got it on the road in a day. With those dang longtubes, it was a nightmare(firstimer here...haha...)
but anyway, the clutch is now engaging too high. it basically comes to the top before the car starts to move. do you think that i need to adjust the cable? it doesn't look like there's an adjustment, it's the stock cable!
does the amount of fluid or anything have to do with that, maybe the pressure is down or something, idk. need help asap.
it didn't do this before i put in the new tranny...

rlopezspc

addicted
Established Member
really! well i guess i have to see why it seems like it's slippin then.
i know when i first got on it with the new tranny, it kinda felt like the clutch was still pushed down..if you can figure what i mean...haha..
like i was riding the clutch, and was slowly letting go.
but then i just left the car on for a lil while and now it seems ok...but the clutch seems too high.. but then again, i have never had a cobra before, so i think you know more than me...haha..
is there any kinda adjustment for the cable on the stock cables. i didn't see one....

rlopezspc

addicted
Established Member
yeah, that's what i am thinking...that i need an adjuster....
and yeah, the cable is factory, it still hase that tag on it...haha..
the car is pretty much stock from factory. so i wouldn't put it past it that i have to change it out..
i live near the midland odessa area.....a lil town called andrews. they call us boom town with all the oil they are drilling over here...haha..

rlopezspc

addicted
Established Member
and for another question, how do you find out what number cobra you have. i see alot of peeps that have #2346 or 4000. how do you find that out. i did a vin check and it just said 96 cobra ....

randyp97svt

Established Member
If it is the stock cable and pedal set up, just take your foot, put it under the clutch pedal and pull up until it clicks. That should adjust your pedal.

rlopezspc

addicted
Established Member
does that make it higher or something. will the clutch still engage high, or will it be lower like that.
i have never heard of pulling up on the pedal. but like i said before, i have never owned a cobra, all ole school 5.0's.
how hard do i have to pull up on the pedal. that won't strip out the plastic quadrant?

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
That kinda sounds like mine. I hate it too. My tuner told me not to worry about it and not to use a firewall adjuster.

rlopezspc

addicted
Established Member
yeah, i heard some peeps tell me not to use a firewall adjuster. so i have to either get another cable or something, i'll try that pedal thing and see if it helps...

Helomech74

Established Member
That kinda sounds like mine. I hate it too. My tuner told me not to worry about it and not to use a firewall adjuster.

Why would they tell you to NOT use a firewall adjuster? Some clutches can really play hell with the stock adjuster/quadrant. I have had one literally explode into many pieces because of wear and tear and because of the pressure plate spring weight. Some aftermarket clutches even come with warnings that say to use a firewall adjuster AND adjustable cable or adjustable pivot ball to get them to release correctly. After my issue with a stock adjuster, It's usually one of the first things I yank out of my Mustangs in favor of a firewall adjuster and billet quadrant.

rlopezspc

addicted
Established Member
i don't know, i just heard that the firewall adjusters are a no go.
but the quadrants are pretty good. i got a upr one on my 88 and 91.
so i think that i am going to go witht the quadrant and adjustable cable. still in debate with the firewall. we'll see....
DID ANYONE EVER COMMENT ON THE VIN CHECK. HOW TO FIND OUT WHAT # MY COBRA IS. ANY INFO WILL BE HELPFUL! thanks...

rlopezspc

addicted
Established Member
ok, well someone told me that it's not that i have too much slack, but that it's too tight. so i have to adjust at the quadrant. to hold the quad., and start to release the pedal. what do ya'll think. cause the pulling the pedal up, didn't work.
they said it didn't cause it's too tight. so let me know...thanks.

msm808

97' Slobra
Established Member
ok, well someone told me that it's not that i have too much slack, but that it's too tight. so i have to adjust at the quadrant. to hold the quad., and start to release the pedal. what do ya'll think. cause the pulling the pedal up, didn't work.
they said it didn't cause it's too tight. so let me know...thanks.

The only stock adjustment is putting the car is first and lifting the clutch up with the top of your foot. You should hear a click.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
If it's too tight...
Look under the dash and locate the qhaudrant.
You'll see the spring piece that "locks" the quadrant on each click.
Lift it out of the way, and Move the quadrant in the opposite way to loosen the cable.
There's a write up somewhere.

John4cam

Established Member
Mine is is letting out high also, The stocker did it and also the King Cobra, but now I cant even do a 2nd gear burnout, my clutch slips and bogs the car..

Users who are viewing this thread