Clutch engagement question

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
I was told my clutch was replaced around 25K ago, I have to depress the clutch pedal all the way in order to put it into gear but it doesn't engage until close to the top. It almost feels like it doesn't engage until a second after I let my foot off the pedal. It was a factory replacement clutch that was installed. I know there is a self adjuster under the dash so I'm guessing whoever installed it didn't re-set it. I have lifted the pedal up several times and it doesn't do anything. How do you re-set this adjuster? Would a firewall adjuster and maybe a new quadrant help? If so any suggestions on a good brand?
Car is an 01 cobra with the factory 5-speed

fastback brian

Established Member
if the engagement range is that much, no adjustment is gonna help. maybe the cable is stretching but sounds like the plate has gone bad, maybe just worn out. shop for a new factory ford 99-01 clutch kit or upgrade a bit to a 04 cobra clutch kit..firewall adjuster and quad from ford racing work nice......

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
if the engagement range is that much, no adjustment is gonna help. maybe the cable is stretching but sounds like the plate has gone bad, maybe just worn out. shop for a new factory ford 99-01 clutch kit or upgrade a bit to a 04 cobra clutch kit..firewall adjuster and quad from ford racing work nice......

The stock 03/04 cobra unit is a direct swap with no issues? While I'm in there would upgrading to an aluminum flywheel be worth it?

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
a firewall adjuster and a alum. quadrant are good no matter what clutch you use. At least get those then report back.

zPipes

Established Member
Alum flywheel would be a nice touch. but very expensive when you couple it with the clutch kit. That puts you between 6-700 bucks. If your lucky maybe just under 6

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
Alum flywheel would be a nice touch. but very expensive when you couple it with the clutch kit. That puts you between 6-700 bucks. If your lucky maybe just under 6

I just figured while i have the transmission out I might as well lighten the rotating mass and add that coolant crossover tube that goes into the back of the heads. I already have an aluminum driveshaft sitting in my garage i bought from a buddy that totaled his 01 cobra a year ago or so, i figure it would help a little in addition to the flywheel. I am going to try the quadrant and firewall adjuster first, a little cheaper than a new clutch/flywheel/coolant mod.............:pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread