Clutch engagement issues

svt98snke

Established Member
Having some trouble with my 97 cobra, some background on the car it's a t45 with a 26 spline input shaft. I was having trouble getting the car into gear, the pedal was real stiff and sometimes having to force it in gear to get it to move. Long story short, broke the cluster gear. Took it to a shop, had the cluster gear replaced. Put in a brand new clutch, new adjustable cable at the same time the rebuilt trans went in. It drove fine for about a month and started to have engagement issues and a really stiff pedal again. It would do alight cold but after about 30 mins of driving or stop and go traffic it would get progressively worse. But first thing in the morning when it was cold it would do fine. If I adjusted the cable with the firewall adjuster it would shift normal again for a day or two then start getting hard to shift again. It was kind of a sparatic problem. Last night I switched back to an OEM ford clutch cable that replaced the firewall adjuster also. It drove perfect last night, the clutch pedal was very easy to push like stock. It drove great this morning, no issues. On the way home it drove like normal. Then I took off from a stoplight and ran through first and second gear wide open, when I pushed the clutch in it wa very stiff and does not want to go into gear again, very frustrating problem. Any ideas on what to check next? Thank in advance

Zemedici

Established Member
is the adjuster holding the spot where you put it? or is it jumping teeth? My factory adjuster wasnt holding the setting/cable anymore as it was worn and jumping teeth. New quadrant underneath + new cable = good to go.

svt98snke

Established Member
I will check it and see.

Forgot to add, the cable is routed in the factory location and now that the car has sat about an hour and cooled down, it is going into gear like normal again

Last edited:

svt98snke

Established Member
Stock exhaust manifolds, I double checked the cable routing online and it is correct. When I installed the new cable it seemed like it took a lot of force with the prybar to move the clutch fork. Could it be a release bearing issue?

Users who are viewing this thread