clutch diagnosis/McLeod RST twin disk question

GCubersoldat

Established Member
Well i think the stock clutch is finally starting to go on me. Currently have a 2014 GT with boss IM, CAI, tune, cat deletes, and 3 inch magnaflow comp quad tip catback with a 100 shot.

clutch isnt slipping at all yet but when i start to let go of the clutch pedal to engage the clutch i hear a hissing noise. could this be the friction material on the pad starting to fade finally or is this normal?

its barely noticeable unless the car is next to a wall, but it has me concerned. Ordered a McLeod twin disk RST but want to see if its possible to squeeze a little more out of this clutch.

On a side note, the McLeod RST twin disk apperantly bolts up to the stock flywheel but it seems that the clutch material will not make contact with it 100% because of the larger inside diameter of the stock flywheel and smaller diameter of the clutch assembly. does this mean i NEED to buy a Mcleod flywheel or is it ok to use the stock one? any input is appreciated. thanks

JTS_7

Established Member
You're not doing yourself any favors by not buying the McCleod flywheel. Since the disc won't be making full contact the HP rating won't be the same, which if you research you can find people complaining about this when using the stock flywheel.

I've never mated an RST up to a stock flywheel, not sure if the pad actually hangs over the inner part of the flywheel which might also cause some issues.

Either way you would have to resurface your flywheel, what's a couple more bucks to buy the correct piece.....which gives you peace of mind

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Buy the lightened steel flywheel. You purchased a nice clutch that won't work up to it's potential with a stock flywheel.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
The clutch will overhang the center if you do not buy their flywheel.

That being said it is normal to hear the clutch hissing, that's the clutch scrapping against the surface of the flywheel but not being fully engaged.
Again its perfectly normal

GCubersoldat

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys. Went ahead and ordered the McLeod flywheel. i'll go ahead and post some install pics and a review later on once ive installed it. any tips on taking the tranny out? will probably be doing it in my driveway

evil281

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys. Went ahead and ordered the McLeod flywheel. i'll go ahead and post some install pics and a review later on once ive installed it. any tips on taking the tranny out? will probably be doing it in my driveway

I don't know what the going rate is these days but try $50 and see where the night goes if you are in to that kind of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread