Clutch chatter?

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
After having the dealer replace my TOB and clutch (they thought the orginal clutch caused the TOB to go bad). Now with the new clutch on start offs the thing has a pretty good chatter. One other issue I noticed is it is almost impossible to get the thing to ingauge 1st for R from a stop. What causes clutch chatter? What kind of mess am I involved in now? How bad will the dealer f*** this up?

julio

Established Member
Some chatter could be considered normal, the Clutch disc has to "seat in". This should occur usually in 500 miles or more depending on your driving habits. There are a couple of others than can cause chatter, the pressure plate must be torqued and pulled down evenly in sequence. The diaphram fingers must be even across with each other. A weak diaphram or a stretched cable could also cause this. My advice would be tell the service manager about the condition and that you will put about 500 miles on it to see if it will go away, then go from there....

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
squeal occured when clutch was in and would go away when out. I have almost 300 miles on the new clutch and nothing has changed. It is extreamly hard to get the car into reverse, the other morning I thought I bent the shifter. I have to call tomorrow morning and see what Ford has to say. This is getting old, this will make three times for clutch issues and it was in for 3 days because the break lights didn't work.......... Sorry just ranting, the car is worth these relativly small issues.

lebda

Established Member
I had the chatter too even after 500 miles. They replaced my clutch and TOB and it fixed the problem completely. I would have them perform the repair again, the right way.

My brother has an '02 GT and has the squeel at 10,000 miles. Sounds like the need for a new TOB for him too.

COME ON FORD!!

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
Ok fellas I have seen others post paper info on fixes for ticks and vibrations. Is this a common problem with the Cobra clutches and TOB because mine is doing the same damn thing and my tech told me its normal. Is there a TSB or anything I can show them to get them to fess up with a new clutch and TOB. Mine has only 4500 mi. Way too soon for this. Any one have any info.

The reason I ask is I was supposed to be taking it in and then at the last minute they started with a whole new song and dance. I thought they were going to replace the TOB but I guess they need convincing

Last edited:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Unfortunately when you take your car in for service you need to remember your dealing with a private dealership who is getting reimbursed by Ford not Ford itself. The sucks for some as it's seems they can't even get a lightbulb changed under warranty while others like myself get a new clutch,pressure plate, TOB because I asked. The only thing I can suggest it to do what I do, keep driving until you find a GOOD service dept. And stick with them. Poll others in your area and find out where they are. Example: AV Ford in Lancaster, everyone in So Cal Knows to stay away from these guys unless it really minor and you don't need a loaner. Galpin in North Hills, widely known for their heavy line dept, good quality service and customer relations. Heck they really do wash and vaccum your Cobra EVERY time and give real FREE loaners. Sorry but thats the only advice I can give.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
Well I do have a final update in my clutch, TOB, and chatter issues, the dealer is going to replace the flywheel and clutch (again). I'm just waiting for them to get the parts in. On the bright side they were really easy to deal with and had no problem providing loaners and being upfront about the situation.

Mr. Reality

Established Member
I really can feel your pain, I too have a clutch problem with mine after only putting 3,000 miles on it. The dealership asked me if I broke in the car hard from day one , I said honestly yes from the time i drove the car out of the lot I cranked it up to 7000 rpm's. He said the clutch didn't have enough time to heat treat itself.
Boy I'm I stupid...tipical for a ford owner HUH??? I really learned my lesson. Next time I will baby the car while it breaks in....

Users who are viewing this thread