Clutch change this weekend!

Soon2bGT500

Established Member
hey guys, Just recently purchased a 02 v6 mustang from my parents not to long ago. The throwout bearing is ridiculously loud and the car shifts poor. I will be changing the clutch/flywheel this weekend,have all oem parts. can you guys point me in the right direction on a HOW-TO or any great pointers ill need.

Things i KNOW for sure-
Pull starter
pull shifter from the top
pull the driveline
drop the crossmember
possibly unbolt exhaust?

Anything else?!

4valvemach

Established Member
Parts you should have
1.clutch
2.flywheel
3.pilot bearing(tool REQ)
4.throw out bearing

steps to remove
1.DISCONNECT THE BATTERY
2.support car on jack stands or car lift
3.put in neutral and remove shifter
4.remove drive shaft bolts and then remove drive shaft
5.unplug O2s and speedometer cable and disconnect clutch cable
6.remove Hpipe
7.unbolt starter should not need to remove the wires
8.support trans and remove cross member bolts
9.lower trans and remove bell housing bolts(good luck on the top two)
10.remove transmission
11.remove clutch,flywheel,pilot bearing

install
1.grease pilot bearing and install(I used a 24mm socket and hammer to tap in)
2.install flywheel (red lock tight on bolts and torque to spec)
3.install clutch torque to spec (it is marked engine side on the disc)
4.lube shaft TOB rides on (not alot of grease just a thin film)and grease the
pivot ball for the clutch fork

then finish putting it back together

Hope this helps some:)

divided

Established Member
^^

That about covers it. Might want to mark your drive shaft as well to ensure you re-install the same way you uninstalled it.

Soon2bGT500

Established Member
wow guys i really appreciate it! sounds simple enough. gonna need some lube and loctite! Will give you guys feedback when its done.

This helps alot

Soon2bGT500

Established Member
Thanks alot guys. Starting in the morning, A few friends have told me to use some type of grease around the Throw out bearing just to make sure not to get on the front of it? So i guess my question is, is there anything else that was said up above ^^^^^ that hasnt been mentioned? very intimidating for someone that hasnt done a clutch change before

Soon2bGT500

Established Member
nevermind to the last post about the grease lol im very tired,lube was mentioned! what grease do i buy???

4valvemach

Established Member
nevermind to the last post about the grease lol im very tired,lube was mentioned! what grease do i buy???

I use bearing grease, the TOB already has grease on/in it so you should only use a small amount on the shaft it rides on.Take some brake cleaner and a clean rag clean the shaft up to the splines(grooves in the shaft).Dip ONE finger into the grease and apply grease to the shaft DO NOT go past the splines.

You only need a thin film on it!!

USE ONLY ...RED..LOCKTIGHT on your flywheel,clutch and drive shaft bolts

I don't know about greasing the TOB. I've always been told not too.

This is very true

Last edited:

Soon2bGT500

Established Member
K going to go get Red loctite and bearing grease! scares me to get red and not blue because of how much stronger it is :)

Oh well im ready to bust this job out and be done! thanks a bunch

Soon2bGT500

Established Member
4valve, To reiterate on your post you said to dab a finger in grease and apply it to the shaft but NOT go past the splines. Did you mean keep the grease on the splines and dont go past or keep it on the shaft and DONT get it on the splines..

4valvemach

Established Member
You have the

____tip...splines..........................bellhousing_____
_____________^____grease_____^

only on the shaft the TOB rides on

The blue is for small stuff like water pump bolts,valve cover bolts,oil pan bolts and carb bolts Ive never used it for that kind of stuff.
The red is for cylinder head bolts,frame bolts,torque converter bolts,flywheel bolts

Last edited:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
As far as the grease, brake grease works as well. We used that in DIVIDED's car when we did his TOB swap

4valvemach nailed it on the head. Follow his directions and you won't have an issue other than the top starter bolt and top bolts on the bellhousing. Those are always fun. Leave the top starter bolt (if you even have one?? I know the terminators have 3 total, not sure about the v6's) out on reassembly.

Last edited:

4valvemach

Established Member
That will work also better the buying a whole tub of grease which ever is cheaper

I just dont like how sticky it is

DAMN THE TOP STARTER BOLT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still put it back in tho LOL

Last edited:

4valvemach

Established Member
God it sucked its just that everything is in the way you get so close then the motor mount is in the way or the angle is just a little off.:bash:

I had to stop three times I was getting so pissed

Last edited:

Soon2bGT500

Established Member
wow so dad and i are stuck on the 2 bolts up top on the transmission...we've been going at it for over 2 hours and have NO luck! im about to give up and put everything back together and take it to a shop...how the **** do these break loose?!?!?!?! we've tried everything

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
Also check your bearing retainer for grooves or gouges.

On my 5.0 I had to use a series of extensions to get the top trans bolts out. For the top bellhousing i just leaned the motor back a bit...but I have no idea how it looks under a modular car.

Soon2bGT500

Established Member
Last night we wrapped up at about 12 am at night..all left to do now is, install the driveline,throw the h pipe back on, connect sensors, look back over all bolts,fill tranny fluid.

What type of tranny fluid do i put in my basic v6 mustang?? and how many qurts?! looked all over the interenet and cant seem to specifially find the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread