Clutch cable problems

usmcsvt98

A day in the life
Established Member
Ok here is some background info, car is a 98 cobra. the factory pawl ( little plastic peice that works with the factory plastic quadrant) broke so I replaced it with a zoom one piece aluminum quadrant ( summit ) and a steeda firewall adjuster. The clutch I had in the car was chattering real bad as well so I resurfaced the flywheel and put In a valeo stock replacement. Clutch grabs great and no chatter. Threw in a new throw out bearing because my last one was squeaking like crazy. Now it's nice and quiet. But when I have my firewall adjuster all the way let out it dosent engage the clutch all the way. When I have it screwed in it engages but but let's out about a half inch off the end of travel. Another thing is the clutch pedal won't depress all the way to the floor and if I adjust it to go all the way to the floor then the clutch isn't fully engaging when pushed in. I'm still using the factory cable. What am I doing wrong? It won't go into reverse now without a horrible grind almost like the clutch isnt fully engaging but if I screw it in any farther the end of my pedal travel will be acouple inches of the floor???? Another quick question, is the clutch fork supposed to come off the input shaft so easy because without any pressure on that from the cable, it slides off about two inches so I have to push it back up then put pressure on it with the cable and then it stays. Sorry for the long book. Thanks a bunch guys!

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I had a problem with my stock cable and quadrant to where one afternoon I tried putting my car in first to drive and it would start rolling forward like I didn't have the clutch pedal pressed in (I did) and it turned out to be the gunked up stock cable (and possibly the worn plastic quadrant flexing from having a ram clutch for 2 years) that wouldn't pull the clutch fork all the way when I pressed the pedal to the floorboard. So I put a new Ford adjustable cable from Summit on it with a Steeda quadrant. It worked for a little while until somehow the cable got loose to where it wouldn't pull the fork all the way again even though i had it adjusted as far as it would go.

So I added a Steeda firewall adjuster to the set up, adjusted it a little, and now everything is perfect and has been for a little over a month now. So I would suggest buying a new cable that you can actually adjust and try that. Mine was only like $45.

Users who are viewing this thread