Clutch cable help please

CobraBallz97

Established Member
Hey guys. I'm having a strange issue with my clutch cable. A little over a week ago my clutch cable snapped. I changed the broken cable, and everything was working seemingly fine until today. I went to engage my clutch and it made a scary loud pop. My first thought was it snapped again. The strange part is, after it pops, there is no tension at all, and after moving the pedal back up into position it clicks and there is tension again. There is no pedal travel at all, it just pops, pedal goes limp, then it clicks back into position after moving it again. Sorry if this is vague guys, just kind of tough to explain. Any ideas?

CleanNGreen96

4v GT
Established Member
+1 on the factory Quad. You'll defenitley save yourself some neck pain if you remove your drivers seat to get at it. But it can be done with it in as well.

CobraBallz97

Established Member
I'm in the process of installing the new quadrant. Any tips on removing the top plastic portion of the stock quadrant? The Steeda quadrant does not require the use of and stock springs correct? Thanks

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
there are two sections of the plastic quadrant. both sections need to removed completely. keep the hairpin clips though because you'll need those to secure the new aluminum quadrant into position. also, make sure you use the correct number of spacers to align the quadrant to the firewall and clutch pedal. if its not aligned, your cable will bind against the edge of the quadrant instead of being seated in the "track" and will prematurely fail.

CobraBallz97

Established Member
there are two sections of the plastic quadrant. both sections need to removed completely. keep the hairpin clips though because you'll need those to secure the new aluminum quadrant into position. also, make sure you use the correct number of spacers to align the quadrant to the firewall and clutch pedal. if its not aligned, your cable will bind against the edge of the quadrant instead of being seated in the "track" and will prematurely fail.

The steeda that I got only came with one metal spacer and a plastic washer. I'm assuming it's the correct spacing if it's the only one that was included with the kit. It appears that the cable is riding properly on the track, but the pedal is VERY firm. I may need to get back under the car and adjust the cable again. Thanks for your response!

Users who are viewing this thread