clutch and flywheel??????????????????

Country

My Cobra is forsale
Established Member
I have to change my clutch in my 01 cobra. I'm running the stock flywheel and a spec III clutch. I now know that the SpecIII i way to big for the tr3650, after breaking the inputshaft. I did not upgrade my input shaft when i replaced it. It was replaced with a OEM shaft. I am making about 400rwhp with the 100 shot of NOS and other mods. What clutch and flywheel do ya'll think i should put in to save me from breaking my shaft again. Thanks

cobraracer46

Banned
A gorilla clutch set up will shock your driveline and brake parts so going with something like a SpecIII clutch is a mistake. If I were you, I would toss the spec III and go with a terminator clutch from Ford.

Country

My Cobra is forsale
Established Member
no one has broke their input shaft with the spec II? Im also changing the flywheel. Im thinking a Fidanza Alum.

JohnnysCobra

Established Member
Ok, Im still new at this, so could someone explain to me why the stage III is a bad choice for the car?

I have an 03/04 flywheel and stage III waiting to be installed next week. Should i reconsider?

Country

My Cobra is forsale
Established Member
The spec III is rated at 600 or 700 hp. That means it will take a shit load of tourqe before it slips. The stock input shaft is only rated at 360ftlb of tourqe. So with a few mods and a shot of nos. The specIII will shear your input shaft. You want the clutch to act kinda like a fuse. It slips to keep something else from breaking.

Country

My Cobra is forsale
Established Member
Got a combo deal. Fidanza alum. fly and f1 racing stage II clutch. I dont really know alot about f1 clutchs but i got the combo for $471 shipped. I thought it was a good deal.

Jamie R.

Established Member
If it's a Fidanza clutch then it should be alright. My buddy has a shop up in Jersey and installed a Fidanza clutch in a car and said it was fine in that car. Let me know when you get it in so we can meet up somewhere.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the cover of MM&FF's August '07 issue

Users who are viewing this thread