clutch and flywheel wear with pics

cursixx

Established Member
While replacing a bent input shaft I pulled the PP and clutch disk to replace the pilot bearing. This is what I found… Is this normal wear or something else going on?

The flywheel has some glazing and one spot that you can feel groves cut into it. The clutch disk itself has a little bit of a grove cut into it were the flywheel has the most damage.

Can this be fixed? Resurface flywheel? Replace clutch disk? Resurface pp?

pics are very large but i wanted to get as much detail as i could. :beer:

IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

thanks

sweet88gt

You really look at this??
Established Member
How much power are you putting to the clutch?? Even though it may seem like a pain, listed mods in your sig would be helpful.

If you bent the input I would venture to say you are putting enough strain on that item to have some clutch slippage. The signs of wear you are showing in the pics dont look uncommon for a good amount of power. I would also have to ask at what point did you know the input shaft was bent?? Were you at the track or on the street?? I started a thread recently about the stock clutch taking some abuse and not giving me any indication on the street that it was that far gone. At the track was a different story.

As far as to answer the question you may want to ask another. How hard is it to remove the trans again if I reinstall these parts that I try to have repaired? If its not that big of a deal then I would resurface the flywheel. I dont know if a PP can be resurfaced, but you could try the shadetree style of sanding in down and giving that a shot. The clutch doesnt look that bad and again the question remains, do I want to do this again?

Having my car on jackstands currently with trans out I dont think it was that bad of a job. The cost is more of the problem that I didnt figure on. Clutch kit, 26 spline input, firewall adjuster, LDC mod, fluids, and so on.

cursixx

Established Member
Counterforce duel friction 26 spline
It’s a 03 Cobra with a Whipple@17psi. A little under 600 to the wheels. I don’t run the car hard but I did bend the shaft at the track. Broke on my 1st pull after I added a set of nitto dr 315's. I broke a half shaft and bent the input shaft at the same time.

I’m not crazy about pulling the Trans again. It’s not the end of the world but last case kinda thing

This clutch has been on the car for about 10k miles. Not sure about all the details on the clutch but I think the flywheel is stock and I’m not sure if it was resurfaced when the clutch was put in. I’m going try and find out more details on this.

Before I bent the input shaft it seemed to be holding the power fine but I had no track time with it. Look at the flywheel seems like something has/had been going on.

I already have close to 1k putting everything back together. Tran’s upgrades and half shafts so it’s not the end of the world if I have to get a new clutch disk and flywheel. If I don’t have to do it I sure could use the money someplace else.

sweet88gt

Established Member
I dont think the clutch looks that bad but with 600 hp I would probably consider a new clutch of your choice. Flywheel looks like it may be stock and even if it has been turned, the damage seen in the pics is minimal. It may be able to be resurfaced again. Most will only resurface the stock flywheel once.

I am more interested in the info on how you bent the 26 spline input. I have a good idea why the halfshaft went out.

cursixx

Established Member
viper looks like yours is a 10 spline. i have a 26 plus i'm thinking about going with a duel disc. thanks anyways.

sweet88gt

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread